AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While listening to multichannel DVD-A I switched to "Stereo" on the receiver. The music switched to the two fronts obviously and the subwoofer. I noticed a BIG increase in bass.

When I switched back to "Multichannel" on the receiver the bass fell off to almost none. I had to go up to feel the sub to see if any movement from it.. and was very slight.

I'm not sure what this means. Is the 'multichanel" setting on receiver for DVD-A music the correct setting with little bass AND the 'stereo' setting version ADDS bass.... Or is my settings screwed up somehow??

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Sounds like your receiver, like most, does not perform bass management on a 5.1 analog signal. Full-range signals are being sent to all your speakers, and bass below the capability of your speakers is being lost. You need to engage bass management in your player.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
333 Posts
When you engage stereo mode on the receiver the AVR is processing the signal and kicks in internal BM to boot. There are a lot of complaints on the way DVD-A/SACD players perform BM, if they even do it at all. Conversely, some players offer a +10 bass boost in addition to the BM because it is not uncommon for the bass in multichannel to be lacking right out of the studio. During my trial and error trials I found that, since I was always a bass-head to begin with, the bass level on multichannel music was at the level it was supposed to be at and I was just used to cranking it up. If you find a disc where you know there's supposed to be a whole lotta low end (say Linkin Park) then it should be there when called upon.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Quote:
You need an Outlaw ICBM to properly deal with BM for the MC inputs.
Not necessarily, but likely.

We will need to know what player you have, and how you have it set-up in terms of speaker settings and channel levels.

Most universal players do mess up BM to one degree or another, but some do get it right. Even is you have all speakers small plus sub on, many players have a very low level of sub/LFE channel, requiring a boost of as much as 10 dB.

Here is a FAQ that talks a bit about that issue http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

BGL

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BGLeduc

We will need to know what player you have, and how you have it set-up in terms of speaker settings and channel levels.

Most universal players do mess up BM to one degree or another, but some do get it right. Even is you have all speakers small plus sub on, many players have a very low level of sub/LFE channel, requiring a boost of as much as 10 dB.

Here is a FAQ that talks a bit about that issue http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

BGL
That's a great link for lots of questions.. Thanks. And thanks for others responses. They don't make this stuff easy.

I have a Panasonic CP72 DVD player and Pioneer 45TX receiver, speakers set to small. I went into DVD player settings and upped the subwoofer +6db (highest it can go). I didn't know if I should go into receivers setting because I didn't want to mess up the MCACC levels that it set for movies.

I also noticed that on some DVD-Audios if I select the DTS version the bass seems ok.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by juicy
I have a Panasonic CP72 DVD player and Pioneer 45TX receiver, speakers set to small. I went into DVD player settings and upped the subwoofer +6db (highest it can go)....I also noticed that on some DVD-Audios if I select the DTS version the bass seems ok.
You should ALSO set speakers to SMALL in your PLAYER. This is the only way you will get bass managment on DVD-Audio sources, because once again your receiver does not apply bass management to 5.1 analog sources. DTS track works okay because it's sent through the conventional digital interface which your receiver handles with its own bass management--but then you lose the benefits of DVD-A's higher resolution sound.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.