AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baetis just introduced the XR Server for $6000 - ouch!
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/05/15/beatis-launches-multichannel-oriented-media-server

I love the concept, since I've had a hell of a time finding jukebox/htpc software that's geared toward multichannel music, but seriously, 6K for a box that only has 256GB onboard storage? I don't care how good the internal wiring or build quality is, it's a freaking digital transport.

It doesn't have to be a simple as itunes, but surely a decent jukebox program exists that can handle multichannel FLAC/ALAC and treat it like music? If I could find something reasonably easy to use and manage, I just might take the HTPC plunge.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Agreed, this is nuts. Any $1K build can deliver high-quality multichannel PCM over HDMI to a pre-pro.

The only thing that would make a rig 'audiophile' is if it had a modded video card whose HDMI output clock was re-broadcast in something like DenonLink format and when used with a quality pre-amp like the Denon AV-A1, you could have jitter-reduced PCM exchanged over HDMI.

Uhm, now that I mention this, any EE's in the crowd want to build a mod using a video card and some parts from a Denon DVD player with Denonlink?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts