AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so maybe this is a little off-topic right now, as I don't have any VHF digital stations today, but I'm trying to deal with it because it is my hope that I will have them someday. Also, it makes watching analog stations a bit annoying.

On low-VHF, I have quite a bit of multicolored static. On high-VHF, I still have a lot. Sometimes it even shows up on low UHF channels. It seems that the weaker the signal, the more I get of the multicolored static. It tends to move across the screen and slowly up the screen, looping around. It gets better to the point of nearly disappearing when it rains. It is worst when the ground is very dry.

I've narrowed down the problem to the following possible sources:

1) RF interference. I've had the power company out to look for this and they can't find any anywhere. Radio sources, including AM, seem clean.

2) Preamplifier "noise." I have a Winegard AP-8780, which has a 3db noise figure. I have no idea if what I'm seeing is coming from the preamp. (I've considered disconnecting the preamp temporarily, but as this involves running around on the roof - something I've done far too much of already - I'm putting this in the last-ditch category.) Does preamplifier noise look like this and follow the trends I listed above?

3) A/C noise. I've tried turning off all the other breakers in the house to no avail. I suspect, given the rain factor, that this could be a grounding-related problem and the entire house shares a common ground - a metal utility pipe. If this is the problem, would a line-conditioner like the Panamax line help/solve this problem?

Thanks for your expert advice.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.