AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a CM Spartan 3 to my antenna and I think that is where I will stop with my HDTV antenna pursuit. I get most of local stations just fine now.

However . . . I still have trouble getting a good lock on the local Fox station KTVU-Fox 2 (digital 56). According to this site:
http://www.metronet.com/~chipk/tv/SFO.html

The KTVU transmitters are on Sutro. But I have heard that they transmit from Oakland. By my own experience, analog 2 was always more difficult to get than the other known Sutro stations (KRON 4, KPIX 5, KQED 9, KGO 7, etc.) The "signal meter" on my model 6000 terrestrial receiver bounces around quite a bit for channel 56 (KTVU digital). This leads me to several questions:

1) Where are the KTVU transmitters?

2) Assuming they are in Oakland, does one experience multipath from signals bouncing off the Bay?

3) What the heck does that "signal meter" really mean anyway? (signal strength? MPEG2 error rate?)

4) Can anyone else on the pennisula share their experiences with getting KTVU analog and/or digital?

·
Registered
877 Posts
KTVU is indeed trasmitted from Sutro. They are physically located in Oakland right here in Jack London Square, but all transmissions are beamed to Sutro and then transmitted just like all the other networks in the Bay Area.

Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
KTVU transmits from Sutro and it is high on the UHF band which doen't help most antenna/cable systems which lose signal strength at that end of the UHF band. Use RG-6 instead of RG-59 cable. Get a UHF inline amp. Make sure it has a low niose figure. CM7777 is good. Also a directional antenna like a Yagi is better than a bow tie to reduce multipath which is your biggest problem.

Check www.antennaweb.org to see what they recommend.

My experience in Cupertino is KVTU comes in at about 65-70 on the model 6000. I am in a bad location but I have an expensive antenna/cable setup.

[This message has been edited by apple (edited 04-06-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.