AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a ReplayTV 5040 for myself and I'm paying the $12.95 (or is it $9.95?) subscription fee each month.

My father now wants to get a ReplayTV for himself.

Does he have to pay an additional monthly subscription fee for his unit?

Also, can he get a 5500 and still be able to share shows with my 5040 unit?

·
Registered
248 Posts
1) Yes, EVERY 5xxx RTV requires the activation fee (monthly or $299 one-time).

2) Yes, 50xx & 55xx RTVs can share shows with each other.

·
Registered
75 Posts
But isn't there a feature that you can record on another ReplayTV on the network...Example...RPT1 in bedroom is subscribed..RPT2 in living room is not subscribed. Using RPT1's replay guide you can direct the recording to RPT2 (that is how I understand it).

Reading the manual online, it is in the section of recording and concerns conflicting shows and it says that you can record to another replayTV as long as it is networked...So my guess is, it can also be for any program that you want to record, not necessarily for conflicting shows only...(correct me if I am wrong).

·
Registered
249 Posts
sorry gee, you are wrong.

:)

P.S. There are MANY threads discussing this and GREAT length.

P.P.S. Did I say MANY threads? I meant to say MILLIONS. ;)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpsjim
2) Yes, 50xx & 55xx RTVs can share shows with each other.
only if you live in Dad's basement.

wont share cross town. get another 5040 for that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Zadkiel,

If you don't mind, can you point me to a thread....My assumption here that his dad is living with him and Dad's replaytv is in one network as sons...

Also, how would you interpret (it was page 42 in Resolving Conflicting Recordings) and it says " Schedule on another ReplayTV - this option is only available if you have networked ReplayTV's. To schedule the show on another ReplayTV, choose the ReplayTV on which you want to record from the menu that displays and press Select".

I am new to this thing, just basing on what the manual says....not from experience though...I apologize

·
Registered
731 Posts
Every single Replay must be activated/subscribed. Period. Without paid service from DNNA, the RTV is a silver doorstop.

As long as all RTVs are on the same LAN, yes, you can schedule a recording on a different RTV than the one you are sitting in front of. But I *think* that the option to schedule on a remote RTV only pops up when there is a conflict with the local RTV. Did that make sense?

·
Registered
75 Posts
So if a replayTV is not subscribed, you will not see it in the network at all even though you hook it up to the network...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gee
So if a replayTV is not subscribed, you will not see it in the network at all even though you hook it up to the network...
That's right, you won't see it on the network at all. Without a subscription, the ReplayTV becomes virtually worthless (unless you count scraping out the parts)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madSkeelz
Every single Replay must be activated/subscribed. Period. Without paid service from DNNA, the RTV is a silver doorstop.

As long as all RTVs are on the same LAN, yes, you can schedule a recording on a different RTV than the one you are sitting in front of. But I *think* that the option to schedule on a remote RTV only pops up when there is a conflict with the local RTV. Did that make sense?
The option to schedule on a remote RTV is available from the channel guide even if there is not a conflict.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by noppers1
Without a subscription, the ReplayTV becomes virtually worthless (unless you count scraping out the parts)
Oh no! No it still is VERY useful....as a powerful nightlight! You could a sillouette of a bat in front of it and use it as the "Bat Signal". If you have a magnifying glass you could start a small fire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sofakng
... Does he have to pay an additional monthly subscription fee for his unit?
The additional fee is really a financing option!

... imagine a car dealer offering you something similar: "instead of paying $44,900 upfront, you can pay $15,000 down and $1,295 a month for as long as you want to drive the car! If you stop making the monthly payments, the car becomes completely useless - but can be driven again once you make another $1,295 payment - or pay the balance of the ORIGINAL purchase price ($29,900)".

* A 5540 is $449 upfront ($150 to the dealer, $299 to DNNA), or $150 to the dealer plus $12.95 a month to DNNA (or the $299 balance of the original price).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well, actually an unactivated ReplayTV will appear on your network...but it will be of limited use.

It will connect to ReplayTV and get guide updates and check to see if it has been activated yet.

But, even if you scheduled programs over the network (I've never tried, so I don't know if it would work)...the machine won't record.

But, you can browse the ReplayGuide over the network and stream shows that are already on it to another unit. But, since it won't record...once it deactivates...it isn't of much use. And, it deactivated state...all it'll do is nag for activation.

The Dreamer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.