AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very simple system that primarily consists of a stereo receiver (NAD) and a second amp (Arcam) fed off the tape monitor outputs of the NAD receiver. The Arcam drives a second set of speakers in a different room. I'm using a separate amp rather than the "B" terminals on the NAD to get independent volume control.

I'm looking for a basic remote that can handle 2 amps. All I ever need to do on the Arcam amp is adjust the volume . None of the cheapo universals I see in the store seem to be able to handle more than one amp. A Harmony won't work because I quite often use the front panel buttons on the receiver which would confuse the remote.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid /forum/post/14282552

A Harmony won't work because I quite often use the front panel buttons on the receiver which would confuse the remote.

- Why would this confuse the Harmony and not other universal remotes? The only command that can really screw up a Harmony is the power command. If you press the power command on the device, the Harmony has no idea that you pressed it manually.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Universal Remote Control MX 850 is up to task (or 800, 900, 950, 980, etc)

I have a similar setup in my Master Bedroom Suite where I have "Bedroom", "Foyer", "Bathroom" all 1 source with 3 volume knobs (although I'm using zones on the receiver the concept is identical).

I programmed my MX 900 remote so that when I press the Volume Up or Volume Down Button on the remote at anytime it takes me to a "Volume" menu. From there the LCD says:

Volume

--------------

Bedroom +

Bedroom -

Foyer +

Foyer -

Bathroom +

Bathroom -

The six buttons to the right of the lcd allow me to raise or lower anyone of my zones.

I have done a similar setup for a friend with an MX 800 with buttons on the left and right the LCD looks like this:

Volume

--------------

- Kitchen +

- Fam Rm +

- Outside +

I use a hard button the remote as a "back" button to go back to controlling whatever device or devices I was controlling. It works well...

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/14283337

- Why would this confuse the Harmony and not other universal remotes? The only command that can really screw up a Harmony is the power command. If you press the power command on the device, the Harmony has no idea that you pressed it manually.

Even with that, if his devices have discreet PowerOn and PowerOff commands nothing will get screwed up. The only time stuff gets screwed up is if you have to rely on PowerToggle commands and the power tracking of the Harmony Remotes. Luckily almost everything in my theater has discreet power functions, so I don't have very many issues anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:

I'm talking about input switching mostly. Go from tuner to cd and the Harmony has no idea about that either.

I guess I'll go the URC route. I was leaning that way anyway. The way dimes007 has it setup is perfect.

·
Registered
286 Posts
+1 for dimes007. Doubt you could get a Harmony to do that.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sure you could, you would just put the different volume commands on the soft screen. You wouldn't be able to get the screen to change directly to the right page though.

Another option would be the Harmony 890 Pro which can be set up to have different rooms. You tell it what room you are in, and then it lists the activities available in that room. You select the activity you want and it will control everything in that room.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So that would mean navigating through to find the page with the different volumes for the different zones?

Just curious, but how many rooms can you assign to the 890? If it's 3 or 4 or more, that's pretty sweet. And yes, I'm a URC user and fan, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what Harmony has done for the industry. Just look at the MX-810... It's URC's version of a Harmony.

BTW: Love the screen name.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I've never personally used an 890 pro so I can't say for sure how many rooms it allows, but I think it is 10.

As far as the volume thing goes with the soft keys it's all about how you set it up. Depending on your activity all of the volume functions could be on the first page, and you might never have to change to a different one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts