AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat new to projection HT, but within the next six months I'll be getting my first projector.

What I'm wondering, is how do you handle multiple aspect ratios from your source?

I'll primarily be using the dedicated HT for DVD viewing, but may occasionally watch an HDTV signal or 4:3 signal. I'll be going with a fixed wall screen, and am basically wanting an adjustable masking system that will allow me to adjust for anamorphic, 16:9, HDTV, and 4:3. How is this accomplished?

So far, all I've been able to think of are adjustable black curtains, but am worried about shodows.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Doug,

Basically, there's 2 ways:

A. Buy a screen with masking. Available from Da-Lite and Stewart (and other, potentially), both fixed frame and electric pull down. The ultimate is the Stewart 4-way which allows masking on all sides.

Of course they don't come cheap. But they are quite compact and good looking.

B. Do it yourself, over a purchased or DIY screen.

Cheaper of course, but integration might be a problem as you'd need space to hide the pulleys, motors, etc needed.

Do a search for "masking". You'll find enough posts on both versions to spend a night reading.

Cheers

Fred

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
If you are starting with a 4:3 image unmasked, then all of the screen companies make a horizontal masking system that will allow you to mask from 4:3 all the way down to 2.35:1. If you decide to go with a 16:9 native screen, then the Stewart Ultimate 4 Way is the only way to mask to all aspect ratios. It actually has horizontal masking panels, and vertical masking panels in the same screen. The horizontal panels mask from 16:9 all the way to 2.35:1. The vertical panels mask on the sides to 4:3. It is the "ultimate" screen, but you do have to pay for it.

Feel free to drop me an email for pricing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi Doug

I have a Stewart Ultimate 4Way and I am very happy with the screen. The 4Way is very expensive but I think it is worth the money. I would recommend getting a 1:78 or 1:85 format screen if most of your viewing will be DVD. You can save some money by getting the horizontal masking screen and using curtains for the 4x3 masking but as you suspect you will have some shadow effect, depending on how close you can mount the curtains to the screen. What ever you decide to do I highly recommend using masking in all formats as it makes a tremendous difference in the overall video experience?

Earl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.