AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to run the following wires in one 1 1/2" conduit.

3 speaker wires (12 gage)

3 RG6 cables (2 for satellite receiver, 1 for subwoofer)

1 cat5 cable for computer

Does anybody have any reason why these wires could not be combined into one conduit and not electrically interfere with one another?

Please let me know

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
804 Posts
You should have zero problems with those wires, just of course you make sure each one is decently made, however not meaning you get the most expensive ones either copper is copper but just make sure they dont fall apart on you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt I appreciate it. :)

Paul

·
Registered
804 Posts
Dont mention it, enjoy

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
There is a fill rate for conduit, I think that might be the only problem you might have. It's something like you can't fill more than 1/2 the conduit or something like that. I'm sure an electrician can let you know. But I don't know if it applies to low voltage wires.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch
There is a fill rate for conduit, I think that might be the only problem you might have. It's something like you can't fill more than 1/2 the conduit or something like that. I'm sure an electrician can let you know. But I don't know if it applies to low voltage wires.
True, I forgot to add anyway you might consider upgrading your conduit to 2 inches in diameter to ensure future proofing.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It also depends on the lenght of the conduit. The longer it is the more resistance on the wire during the pull. A greater diameter conduit will reduce this. If it is a long pull use cable lube.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The 40% fill requirement is for power lines only. Low voltage wiring doesn't create enough heat to do anything bad. Of course it's always a good idea to check local codes. Many places don't care much what you do with low voltage wiring while those that do care just want to make sure the insulation won't make like a fuse in a fire. Just make sure speaker wires are rated cl2 or cl3 and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf
The 40% fill requirement is for power lines only.
Greywolf, let me point you to a section of the code. See 725.3 which is talking about Class 1, 2 and 3 power limited circuits. This section removes Article 300 code equirements for power limited circuits except for those specifically mentioned. Then in paragraph 725.3(A), the section pertaining to fill requirements (300.17) is specifically mentioned. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
All I can figure from that is the code has changed for the 2005 version which isn't used yet in my area and is possibly self contradictory. Could you elucidate? I and most others don't have ready access to a lot of the NEC especially the latest versions. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My father is an electrical contractor and I recall him saying that cat 5 needs to be 6 inches away from any other wire that runs adjacent to it. I could be wrong about this so anyone else feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ive never heard that before, if that is the case then I learned something new.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb3rd
My father is an electrical contractor and I recall him saying that cat 5 needs to be 6 inches away from any other wire that runs adjacent to it. I could be wrong about this so anyone else feel free to chime in.
He's talking about away from power lines.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I would want to have the speaker wires run in a separate conduit. I think there may be interference issues next to the RG6 despite the latter's shielding.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It's important to keep low level interconnects away from interference sources but the only speaker wire I'd have any concern about as an interference source might be the one between an amp and a passive subwoofer.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I disagree with that, Allan. Any crosstalk is going to be outside the frequency band of interest.

But I do see a problem. cat5 is quite noisy over a wide spectrum. I would run that well away from other low-level analog lines, audio or video.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf
All I can figure from that is the code has changed for the 2005 version which isn't used yet in my area and is possibly self contradictory. Could you elucidate? I and most others don't have ready access to a lot of the NEC especially the latest versions. Thanks for the update.
I have copies of the 1996, 2002 and 2005 versions. This requirement was new in the 2002 version.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
I disagree with that, Allan. Any crosstalk is going to be outside the frequency band of interest.

But I do see a problem. cat5 is quite noisy over a wide spectrum. I would run that well away from other low-level analog lines, audio or video.
Analog video goes from DC to 4mhz NTSC and 30mhz HD. So 20hz to 20khz is well within the band.

I agree speaker wires carrying high level singals could induce crosstalk into long analog video cables. Remember that speaker levels can reach 100 volts at several amps on loud peaks.

But it looks like the origional poster is running RF or the LNB signal from the dish. In this case the audio signal is out of band.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpiper
I have copies of the 1996, 2002 and 2005 versions. This requirement was new in the 2002 version.
Except not all localities enforce the NEC for residential low voltage wiring. For example Los Angeles county did not as of 2002.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
My town still uses the 1996 code and still does not allow Romex. My ears do not allow enough energy in a speaker wire to affect my picture. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.