AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this white paper ( http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003.0 ) on using multiple subwoofers to tame room dynamics issues and decided that using two subwoofers might make a lot of sense.

I looked at the Cambridge Soundworks website to see how much another Bass Cube 12 would cost and then I decided to investigate the SVS website. I am enthusiastic about trading up to an SVS cylinder. Although the website briefly discusses using more than a single sub, they don't discuss using two different-sized subs.

Is there anyone that is currently using, or has in the past used, two different SVS subs? I am thinking maybe 25-31 paired with 20-39.

I have a U-shaped sectional about 14' from the HDTV mounted on the opposing wall. The width of the room is about 20 - 25 feet and it opens into a two-story foyer and a large kitchen. I have a bay window behind the sectional and I thought I could put one sub behind the sectional in the bay and the other one in the front of the room next to the HDTV.

According to the SVS website, the smaller sub doesn't quite reach as low but it has higher output at the mid-bass. My theory is that the 20-39 would give me some access to the lower bass for the really low frequencies in movies like U-571 whereas the 25-31 would give me a flatter mid-bass.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurbin
I read this white paper ( http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003.0 ) on using multiple subwoofers to tame room dynamics issues and decided that using two subwoofers might make a lot of sense.

I looked at the Cambridge Soundworks website to see how much another Bass Cube 12 would cost and then I decided to investigate the SVS website. I am enthusiastic about trading up to an SVS cylinder. Although the website briefly discusses using more than a single sub, they don't discuss using two different-sized subs.

Is there anyone that is currently using, or has in the past used, two different SVS subs? I am thinking maybe 25-31 paired with 20-39.

I have a U-shaped sectional about 14' from the HDTV mounted on the opposing wall. The width of the room is about 20 - 25 feet and it opens into a two-story foyer and a large kitchen. I have a bay window behind the sectional and I thought I could put one sub behind the sectional in the bay and the other one in the front of the room next to the HDTV.

According to the SVS website, the smaller sub doesn't quite reach as low but it has higher output at the mid-bass. My theory is that the 20-39 would give me some access to the lower bass for the really low frequencies in movies like U-571 whereas the 25-31 would give me a flatter mid-bass.

What do you think?
I would not advise it. The two different subwoofers will have different phase and frequency response characteristics and will not work in complete synergy at all frequencies. Always use the same size/model when doubling up subs.

If you can't, then use variable tune and put them in the same tune. For example a 20-39PC+ with all ports open would work fine with a PB12-Plus/2 in the 20 Hz tune with a port plugged, because they would have very similar phase and FR curves and would complement each other at all frequencies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.