AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I moved to my house there was already a dish and antenna on the roof. The way it was setup -- they both had short cable runs which ran into a diplexer on the roof. Then there was only one cable ran into the house.

I've since upgraded to HD and have installed a new triple LNB dish .

I added three cables and currently have them all running to seperate receivers.

I put another diplexer at the end of the one cable and use it for my HD receiver and OTA. Both signals are coming in great (100% for my locals and all my D* channels are in the 90's).

My question is: When I install a 5x8 multiswitch -- can I keep the diplexer on the roof and use another diplexer on that one feed before going into the switch (then of course use diplexers again at each TV)?

This is not too many diplexers is it?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
All 4 lines from the dish need to go to the 5x8. You could use a diplexer to combine the dish and antenna on one of the 4 lines and another to separate at the multiswitch and it would most likely work since you have good signal quality. All you save is having 4 lines for part of the run instead of 5 though. It wouldn't be my preference. If it's about saving another penetration of the house, I'd rather use an LB fitting and a little conduit to pass all the wires through a single larger opening. An example is at:

http://www.cantexinc.com/p_access1.htm

·
Registered
41 Posts
I already have HD satellite, and instead of plunking down hundreds of dollars for an antenna, I'm going to first gauge the local HD channels by getting cable for a week in order to watch the Super Bowl.

My question is: Can I run them into the house on the same line using a diplexer, then split the feed in the house, one going into my satellite STB and one into my cable STB?

Otherwise, I think I'm going to have to disconnect and reconnect things in order to switch between the two. I'd have to disconnect outside and in, I believe.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
212 Posts
"I'm going to first gauge the local HD channels by getting cable for a week in order to watch the Super Bowl."

I don't know about your area but baring a 11th hour negotiation, the Superbowl will not be in HD over cable here in Sacramento. You need an OTA antenna (which I will be upgrading this weekend).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShackShock
I already have HD satellite, and instead of plunking down hundreds of dollars for an antenna, I'm going to first gauge the local HD channels by getting cable for a week in order to watch the Super Bowl.
What kind of antenna are you looking at a solid gold one? Are you already scheduled for an install? At this point a lot of cable Co.'s are running short on HD boxes, I'm betting after the super bowl a lot of people will be returning their boxes like you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm scheduled for an install on Monday morning, and they've promised me an HD box. When I was referring to the price of an antenna, I was including installation, as I'm not the handiest guy. Plus, my theater is in the basement, making the running of wires a little more lengthy.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by c5Guy
"I'm going to first gauge the local HD channels by getting cable for a week in order to watch the Super Bowl."

I don't know about your area but baring a 11th hour negotiation, the Superbowl will not be in HD over cable here in Sacramento. You need an OTA antenna (which I will be upgrading this weekend).
He is not in Sacramento. Sacramento is unique that while KOVR is Sinclair owned station, it is probably the only Sinclair station that added HD pass through in the early days at local viewers request. Sinclair has always been anti-HD and this time KOVR's hands are tied.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShackShock
I'm scheduled for an install on Monday morning, and they've promised me an HD box. When I was referring to the price of an antenna, I was including installation, as I'm not the handiest guy. Plus, my theater is in the basement, making the running of wires a little more lengthy.
Gotcha, I am sure you will enjoy HD & wouldn't be suprised if you decided to keep it.

Jordan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.