AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering making the switch to dtv, given the limited HD programming that Charter offers. Since we have two HD sets I would like to have 2 HD DVRs but DTV doesn't appear to offer that option. So my question is what will I need to accomplish this setup?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm pretty sure DirecTV should be able to set you up with 2, dual HD DVR receivers.

I recently got an upgrade to a Dual HD DVR for my new living room TV.

I put my old dual DVR receiver (not HD) in the bed room, and moved the bedroom basic box (also not HD) to my computer room.

That's 5 feeds, 2 HD, 3 Standard definition , running off a new (single) 5 LNB dish.

I think DirecTV can what you want and off of one dish. It might have to be a new dish, but I believe they can do it.

I could be wrong.

They do have a Dual HD DVR. But it has one draw back. As far as I can tell (since I've had it, only 3 days). You can't "buffer" rewindable veiwing for each "feed". Infact you can't even switch to find the other feed. It only exists when you engage a recording and want to watch another program, or want to record 2 programs. It's as if it's not there when not doing one of those two things.

My previous Dual (none HD) DVRs would buffer on ether feed, and either feed could be accessed.

Just a heads up about the DIrecTV equipment.

Some one will chime in soon with a wealth of much more accurate information.

But since I just had it done, I'm thinking if they can set me up the way I described, I think they can certainly accomidate 2 HD DVRs. Even if both have dual DVRs in them. I'd be very surprised if they gave you a flat out no, that it couldn't be done.

Worst case scenario is that you will need two dishes.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You can have as many HR20's as you want to pay for, Directv doesn't limit you on DVR's. Just call them up and order or go through someone like Value Electronics or Solid Signal to order your set up.

disfigured - The 5 LNB dish has 4 outputs, if you have more then 4 feeds you have a multiswitch somewhere in your set up also that expands the dish to 8 outputs.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured /forum/post/0

Some one will chime in soon with a wealth of much more accurate information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/0

disfigured - The 5 LNB dish has 4 outputs, if you have more then 4 feeds you have a multiswitch somewhere in your set up also that expands the dish to 8 outputs.

My prediction comes true.........;-).

Yup I remember the installer explaining this to me and about the 8 outputs and access to the new satellites. It's sort of a learning curve once you switch from cable. It once took me a while to explain to a friend switching to SatService, about how the line couldn't be divided via a "splitter". I was hard because I still don't full understand the all the particulars, just the basics (right now).

It's only been a year, I'm still getting to know all the ins and outs. That's why I love forums and especially this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.