AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some help. I am in the process of building a dedicated home theater in my basement. I wanted to sound proof the room (double 5/8" drywall, clips, glue and channel). But I am having a problem....

The one wall will have 3 doors (mechanical room, bathroom, and a bedroom). I was thinking of a large rolling door for the bedroom and can open the room up. I want to avoid the look of 3 plain doors pretty much right beside each other if at all possible and want to have some good acoustics!

Am I dreaming and can this be done? I know I have seen people build panels and basically "hide" the doors with the look of a panel.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I think a rolling door would be a significant weak point in your soundproofing efforts.

Any chance you could reconfigure so that you have a single door to a hallway/vestibule and then have the bathroom and mechanical room access from the hallway/vestibule?

If not I would probably keep the three doors and try to disguise them. There's a couple of threads in this forum where people ran their wainscot and sound treatments right over their doors to try and disguise them.

Tim

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I have three doorways in my theater, albeit on different walls. What you want to do is use solid core communicating doors with doorseals and automatic door bottoms from soundproofingcompany.com for each door. That's a total of six doors that are very, very sealed. After that, the aesthetics are easy...pile on the fabric until it's even with the walls, etc. And, you can even put a sliding panel on rails in front of the doors for aesthetics, moving it out of the way to leave the theater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts