AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am looking for a way to take multiple HD sources (Tivo HD, Cox Cable HD PVR, Blu Ray DVD, PS3, etc), connect them all in some way to a Home Theater PC or MAC (probably through some kind of HDMI multiplexing switch) and then have PC or MAC application on the HTPC that manages the various HDMI inputs and allows you to display them in various ways - picture-in-picture, picture-by-picture, tiled windows, etc.

I uploaded some images to help explain.

Does the technology exist?

thanks!

lloyd

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Z - unfortunately - I already own all of that stuff (Tivo HD Lifetime subscription - xmas present). And I like the access to the video on demand stuff that Cox presents. The main thing I want to be able to do is display multiple windows (each window showing the video source (Tivo, Cox PVR, etc) and then tile them, switch between them, PIP them, etc. I have a 58" plasma and would like to be able to split the screen up in different ways to have mulitple football games, a window with my PC desktop/web browser, etc.

Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

L

· Registered
5,165 Posts
First, you need to rethink what you're asking. Your HTPC is another component in the home theater system and should never be mistaken for a controller. They do not have the input or switching capabilities to do what you want nor are there any aftermarket add-ons for a PC that will enable this feature..

That being said, what you need is an HDMI switch that you can connect everything to, including the HTPC. The only caveat is whether or not all of your components use HDMI or DVI as the video output. If any of them use DVI then you'll have to find a way to switch the audio independently of the video. There are HDMI switches available that have separate audio inputs that can switch both simultaneously.

My next question is, why do you have a Cox HD DVR when you own a Tivo HD? Dump that piece of crap and get another Tivo HD or wait until the Ceton tuners become available and replace both DVRs.

My third question is, why do you have a separate Blu-Ray player when you already have a PS-3? If you really want to make your life easier and have less clutter in your setup, here's what I suggest.

1. Get the Ceton cablecard tuner when it becomes available. This will allow you to get rid of both standalone DVRs and eliminate all of the monthly fees associated with them. You'll only need a single M-card with the Ceton tuner card.

2. Get a BD-ROM drive for your HTPC. This will allow you to get rid of the standalone BD player.

3. I am assuming that your OTA HD is by virtue of an ATSC tuner card inside of your HTPC. If not, get one and eliminate yet another piece of external hardware.

After doing all of the above, you'll only need to switch between the HTPC and the PS-3 and still have all the same functionality as before. Before you restate that you already have the other hardware I have just one more thing to add - sell 'em on ebay.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Captain Video. After reading your post and rereading Z's - I get what you guys are saying. So I just went to Ceton's website and looks like with their cablecard tuner, I will be able to watch multiple channels at the same time (e.g. CBS and FOX Sunday NFL games in two different windows). Thanks for the tip.

L

· Registered
4,696 Posts
The PS3 can play BR, no need for a stand alone. When we went to an HTPC system we worked on eliminating as many boxes as possible. We're down to the HTPC, A leapfrog video game, and an old 5 disc CD player. As my kids get older I don't see the video games becoming LESS, although I think I can sell the wife on ditching the 5 Disc CD player.

· Registered
322 Posts
I implemented such a solution before utilizing Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards (and in-line HDCP strippers when needed) for a commercial client.

I would not recommend it for an HTPC. As the previous poster said, rething what you actually want to do.

· Registered
23,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbiggs /forum/post/18132354

Thanks Captain Video. After reading your post and rereading Z's - I get what you guys are saying. So I just went to Ceton's website and looks like with their cablecard tuner, I will be able to watch multiple channels at the same time (e.g. CBS and FOX Sunday NFL games in two different windows). Thanks for the tip.

L

But not at the same time on the same screen I don't think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.