AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I am in the process of finishing my basement. Currently I am working on running the low voltage cables in the wall. I plan to run everything through my receiver, which I know can be done via (1) HDMI cable out to the TV.

I found a face plate that will work well for my set up, however noticed it has 2 HDMI slots. (Attached)

Given that I plan on running everything through my receiver, are there any benefits to having multiple HDMI outs that I am missing? If so, could someone share a use case where multiple HDMI outs would be beneficial?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'If so, could someone share a use case where multiple HDMI outs would be beneficial?' - if Cable A fails you won't have to rip out the wall to replace it!

How long are your in-wall HDMI cables and what cables do you plan to use?

Joe
Joe:

Thank you, that certainly is a smart use case. I do plan on running smurf tubing where the HDMI will travel, in hopes that if needing to replace that cable in the future, it will not be too difficult.

The in wall run will not be too long at all. It will just be a basic set-up from the entertainment center to the TV. I would say about 4 feet in wall. As for the type of cable to use, I am not sure yet. Any recommendations would be welcomed.

4k is not on my plate ATM, but could be in the future. Future proofing my set up is certainly desired.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hello -

I am in the process of finishing my basement. Currently I am working on running the low voltage cables in the wall. I plan to run everything through my receiver, which I know can be done via (1) HDMI cable out to the TV.

I found a face plate that will work well for my set up, however noticed it has 2 HDMI slots. (Attached)

Given that I plan on running everything through my receiver, are there any benefits to having multiple HDMI outs that I am missing? If so, could someone share a use case where multiple HDMI outs would be beneficial?

Thank you!
Off hand, the only thing that comes to mind is that one of the HDMI's can be used as input from a device that will not be located near the AVR equipment, such as a PC.

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Joe:

4k is not on my plate ATM, but could be in the future. Future proofing my set up is certainly desired.
The only way to "future proof" your setup would be to use conduit, which it sounds like you're doing, and solid core CAT-6. However, if 4' is your length on in-wall cable, then you could probably get away with a certified high speed hdmi cable because swapping it out if you need to shouldn't be that difficult depending on whether you have any sharp bends or not.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
A quick behind the wall run, straight up the wall, in the same stud... You don't need conduit. Just run the cable up the wall and leave a pull string to pull a replacement wire in the future if you need to.

Run your one HDMI cable, almost any decent quality one will do.

No advantage to the second HDMI on such a short run unless using it for some 'creative' purpose as mentioned above, like having an aux. input on a different wall you are using (I have done this in the past).

You can always build the plates exactly how you want them using keystone wall plates and keystone jacks which match your exact needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts