AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to expand my htpc's to include cablecards. I have 3 HTPCs right now and a 12TB server where all my movies are stored. I would like to get into cable cards to replace my cable boxes in each room and use one device. Do I have to get cable cards for each PC and keep that at each PC? Ideally I would like 4 total that are connected to the server and then shared out to the PC's, from what I have read this is not possible.

So basically if I want to tune channels and record another I would need 2 cablecard tuners at each HTPC? Or can they be shared?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
This architecture is not supported by MSFT and the DRM model they chose to implement. The only way of doing what you want is to use a true client server DVR system like SageTV and something like the HD-DVR encoder or the R5000-HD, if that is an option for you.

I have a SageTV system with 2 R5000-HD's hooked to comcast, as well as 4 HdHomeRun tuners, all in one server box box attached to 10 TB of storage, and have clients and SageTV extenders all being feed from that server. In fact, I can start playback in one room, stop it, and pick up right where I left off in a different room. I can watch live TV in one room, and the server will allocate a tuner and stream the live program to whatever device is requesting it. I can even do this remotely from a hotel room with placeshifting built in, and none of the recordings are DRM's, so I can burn them to DVD to watch in the car, or scrub them for commercials so they are automatically skipped on playback.

You just can't do this with Media Center. MSFT didn't design it to do what you want.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpolzin /forum/post/16975156

I'm guessing MS isn't the one at fault really, I would assume the cable companies and by extension Hollywood are the paranoid ones.

:) I bet you don't know the number of meetings the MSFT guys had with Hollywood, stoking their fears of piracy and pitching the MSFT DRM platform as the answer.

In my opinion, it's a bad idea for a company who sells media center software solutions to also be in the business of making money when more and more DRM is used.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
well, actually MS "sold" a platform, and the Cable companies are the ones putting further restrictions on it.

I'm using a CableCARD tuner now. And, no, it is not an OEM PC. It works rather well, although I don't get channels on SDV (but probably will soon!).

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well lets say I spring for cable card tuners for each PC, and no they are not OEM and yes I have 1 working right now.

Can they at least share a common DVR location, so that recorded programs would be shown on ever HTPC?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/16977328

Well lets say I spring for cable card tuners for each PC, and no they are not OEM and yes I have 1 working right now.

Can they at least share a common DVR location, so that recorded programs would be shown on ever HTPC?

No. The MSFT DRM prevents that. You can only view the programs on the PC that recorded them. Or an extender, but not another PC.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
yes, they definitely work on an xbox360 in extender mode, but not another PC.

Supposedly the new DRM coming with the new firmware will allow domain-level DRM, but that can always be further restricted with CableLabs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts