AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Stallion, and I'm a recently made ReplayTV'aholic....

Ok, sorry, wasn't sure how to query for this, so decided to just ask.

I just picked up my ReplayTV yesterday. I have it connected to my digital cable with Svideo. I want to connect a coax to it also so I can record via the cable box, and watch regular non-scrambled channels directly from the coax cable. I would assume this will work fine, but I'm concerned how it will deal with the lapover. The nonscrambled channels would be comming through both the digital cable box, and straight from the coax. Will I be able to watch the regular cable, and record from the digital cable? Will this work? Has anyone else done this?

Forgive me for being a newbie on this. I appriciate any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You should split the signal coming out of the wall... run one to Digi box, and one to the TV coax input... then when you are recording one channel, you can watch another basic cable channel using the tv remote.

Is this what you are asking? It is not very clear, which might be why no one has responded yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think I just found the key to your question... you want your RTV to have dual tuners... right?

Not gonna happen with your current hardware.

The method of running 2 inputs from the digi box to your RTV will not help anything.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sure, that ought to work, as long as the channel lineup information is correct from RTV for your cable provider. I had mine set up like this when I had a digital cable box for a while (then cable co dropped OLN so I had to get Directv instead). You tell the RTV box that regular cable is connected to ANT/tuner, and digital cable box is connected to input 1/2 (is 2 the only one with S-video?) via S-video, assuming you get the IR blaster codes (or serial cable) to work for your cable box of course. It's been a couple years now, but I don't remember any issues with overlap...on my older RTV box anyway it's not possible (through the RTV box) to both watch something you aren't recording live, and record something on another channel/input - you can watch/pause any channel live if you aren't recording, you can watch/pause the same channel you are recording when you are recording it, or you can watch something previously recorded while whatever is recording (the usual method for me) so you can skip commercials. You will have to cede primary control of the digital cable box to RTV so that it will record the things you've told it to, so you can watch them later :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by h_a_h_3
Sure, that ought to work, as long as the channel lineup information is correct from RTV for your cable provider. I had mine set up like this when I had a digital cable box for a while (then cable co dropped OLN so I had to get Directv instead). You tell the RTV box that regular cable is connected to ANT/tuner, and digital cable box is connected to input 1/2 (is 2 the only one with S-video?) via S-video, assuming you get the IR blaster codes (or serial cable) to work for your cable box of course. It's been a couple years now, but I don't remember any issues with overlap...on my older RTV box anyway it's not possible (through the RTV box) to both watch something you aren't recording live, and record something on another channel/input - you can watch/pause any channel live if you aren't recording, you can watch/pause the same channel you are recording when you are recording it, or you can watch something previously recorded while whatever is recording (the usual method for me) so you can skip commercials. You will have to cede primary control of the digital cable box to RTV so that it will record the things you've told it to, so you can watch them later :)
Thats pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. Having 2 inputs to the ReplayTV, one of which I can watch, while the RTV records on the other. Man, that would be nice if it would work. I can certainly change the channels on the TV, but it would be much nicer to just do it straight from the RTV.

Hey, thanks guys for repsonding. I really appriciate your help on this. This board seems like THE place to get info on RTV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.