AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So In my office I have my router going to my main rig, and then into the living room A/V closet. In the living room we have a PS3, 360, HTPC, and a Wii, we use all of them online. At the moment we have to plug the single line into which ever device we want to use, this is sometimes pretty annoying, and since I just cleaned up the input/output with a HDMI receiver, this is all that's left to make it "self sufficient".

Now I understand that when you have multiple computers on the same lines you have to use a switch and crossover line(s) to keep from having data collision and slowing it all down, but since all these are going to be used one at a time, would it still be necessary to run a x-over and a switch, or could I get away with some type of hub, or splitter?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Any dumb hub/port multiplier will do what you want. I have a green D-Link 8 port switch in my living room - one port to the LAN jack in the wall and the others available for my HTPC, Wii, etc. That switch, along with another one, runs to my router (located in the garage, with my patch panels, telephone panels, etc).

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
the mentality of needing 'x-over' and a 'switch' is not necessary. A basic 100MB dummy HUB for $20 would be fine, as mentioned, for your needs. If you want to spend more money, then get a 1GB switch.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/18306229

Now I understand that when you have multiple computers on the same lines you have to use a switch and crossover line(s) to keep from having data collision and slowing it all down, but since all these are going to be used one at a time, would it still be necessary to run a x-over and a switch, or could I get away with some type of hub, or splitter?

Your understanding is slightly skewed. There's no data collisions anywhere. A crossover cable is used to "direct connect" two devices, with no switch or router or hub betwen them. A switch does exactly what it's supposed to do. Switch.

8 port gigabit switches are a dime a dozen. Throw one in there and be done with it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/18306614

Your understanding is slightly skewed. There's no data collisions anywhere. A crossover cable is used to "direct connect" two devices, with no switch or router or hub betwen them. A switch does exactly what it's supposed to do. Switch.

8 port gigabit switches are a dime a dozen. Throw one in there and be done with it.

This is what I was reading ...

http://duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm
http://duxcw.com/faq/network/uplink.htm

Thanks for the replies, probably saved me some money

1 - 6 of 6 Posts