AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this in a different thread albeit in a roundabout way along with a bunch of other questions. But after looking at a few receiver manuals I'm not sure how to do it: Can you output component video to one tv, and then hdmi to another tv (in an upstairs room)? They would not be needed at the same time, just while we were watching tv downstairs or later on while upstairs. The upstairs tv would just need a basic audio signal using tv speakers.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Read the FAQ!
36,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afphinfan /forum/post/0

I asked this in a different thread albeit in a roundabout way along with a bunch of other questions. But after looking at a few receiver manuals I'm not sure how to do it: Can you output component video to one tv, and then hdmi to another tv (in an upstairs room)? They would not be needed at the same time, just while we were watching tv downstairs or later on while upstairs. The upstairs tv would just need a basic audio signal using tv speakers.

Thanks,

Mark

Yes but with provisos.

First, if you are using HDMI source devices, many will apply copy protection on their HDMI output which will keep the receiver from converting it to Component video AT ALL, much less doing so simultaneously with it's normal HDMI output.

A variation on this goes the other way: Component video inputs which are "Macrovision" copy protected, can not be scaled above 480p resolution -- whether for Component output or HDMI output.

The first restriction is more likely to give you grief. Basically it means you will have to either forego HDMI source devices, or use ones that ALSO put out Component video output that you can route to your Component video TV (through the receiver).

That said, some receivers and pre-amp/processors will offer a "Zone 2" output for video as well as for audio. Typically the second zone for video will be limited in some way -- for example it may not feature any special video processing the AVR offers. And the HDMI output may very well be limited to the fully featured signal path instead of the Zone 2 path.

--Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks that sure does muddy the water with all of the copy protection to consider, but I would rather know going in then have buyer's remorse. I've only seen DENON receivers with the 2nd zone video out yet and haven't even had the time to look at the capabilities listed in the owners manuals yet. Will keep looking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.