AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a 9.1 receiver but can't afford one. Suppose I use two 7.1 receivers (Pioneer 1020 and 817), one for 5.1 plus 2 height channels (the 1020) and one for 5.1 plus 2 back surround channels (the 817) but with the 5-6 other speakers not connected. Would it sound as though I had a single 9.1 receiver?

·
Registered
750 Posts
what info are you planning to send to the heights?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
You don't have $1000? The Onkyo 1007 is a 9.2 AVR and that is what I would do. Sell off the other AVRs you have. If you can't afford it now, wait. You can't get true 9.1 any other way that I know of.

No, what you propose will not work.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual /forum/post/18281918

what info are you planning to send to the heights?

Whatever the Pioneer 1020 decides should be sent there when it's in PLIIz mode.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Actually I would wait. New models are being announced now and in the next few weeks. Onkyo may release the 708 with 9.1 capability. The New Pioneers above the the entry models may have 9.1 capability too.

The problem as I see it is the decoding AVR cannot be more than what it is. The Onkyo 807 can do front width or height, but not rears at the same time. The 807 can only be a 7.1 channel AVR. Adding more power (extra amp channels) would not change that. You need to have a 9 channel AVR or Pre-Pro to decode all 9 channels properly. The width or height channels are different than all the other 7 channels you are accustomed to.

I have a feeling 9.1 will be much more affordable this year. Manufacturers always try to outdo each other and this is a feature they will push to seem better than the rest.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18282315

The problem as I see it is the decoding AVR cannot be more than what it is.

But there would be two decoding AVRs: Pioneer 817 connected to a digital optical port and Pioneer 1020 connected to an HDMI port of the same device. The 817 knows how to do PLIIx, so I connect the back surrounds to it. The 1020 knows how to do PLIIz, so I connect the front height speakers (and LF, C, RF, LS, RS, Sub) to it. 5.1 (1020) + 2 height (1020) + 2 back surround (817) = 9.1. Since I already have the 817, the cost to me is $549 MSRP for the Pioneer 1020.

If there was a non-constant delay introduced by the Pioneer when processing the HDMI signal, it wouldn't work, because the back surrounds couldn't be sync'd with the other speakers. Maybe there are other gotchas ...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
You can't have TWO decoding AVRs in anyway I can see. One would have to decode the 9.1 and send audio out of pre-outs to the second for amplification.

How are you going to hook this up? Split your HDMI source and send one to each AVR? I just don't see this working correctly at all. If you wait and the 708 has 9.1 (I am speculating it will), a month or two after release it will be $500-$600.

I wish someone else could explain this better as I am obviously not doing a good job.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18289322

How are you going to hook this up? Split your HDMI source and send one to each AVR?

No. I was pretty explicit about the hookup in my previous post. One AVR gets HDMI input and the other gets optical digital input. The HDMI and digital optical connections go to the same source device. Let me also refer you to what I said above: "But there would be two decoding AVRs: Pioneer 817 connected to a digital optical port and Pioneer 1020 connected to an HDMI port of the same device." Do you understand now? Splitting the HDMI source signal, as you suggest, would be similar, but I wouldn't be able to do that, since my Pioneer 817 doesn't process audio from HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You need a 9.1 AVR.

Well, scratch that, you want a 9.1 AVR.

While it is theoretically possible to work with two receivers together to get a 9.1 mix, the resulting kludge would be extremely difficult to set up, calibrate and control. It's a great recipe for craptacular sound. I love tinkering and improvising myself, and even I wouldn't touch that concept with a 10 meter cattle prod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was thinking about almost the same thing. So i guess something like source hdmi out > avr1 hdmi in > avr1 > avr1 hdmi out > avr2 hdmi in won't work either ? So you can only use an old avr as amp and the new one as pre-pro ?

Or do u guys use your old avr for other zones or somthing and how do you do that ? control it with 2 remotes etc ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts