AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main display is a HDTV with a Yamaha YHT-397 5.1 system, which is a HTR-3065 reciever . I will be installing a Projector which will mirror my main display through a splitter connected from to the hdmi output on the receiver. Now my issue is that I would like to set up a soundbar for my HDTV and use my 5.1 set up for my projector, but how would i go about doing that on one receiver? is it possible to disable the 5.1 set up and just use a soundbar and vice versa?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
First off, HDMI splitters are active devices. Secondly, most soundbars are stand-alone devices. You quickly end up with two independent systems.

- display connected to soundbar

- AVR connected to projector and speakers

The only issue I see is shared program; you'd still need an HDMI switching capability to divert multiple sources to one of two outputs. That's where an AVR with dual HDMI outputs fits your needs nicely. Set up to pass through to the TV as default, you can watch without the AVR turned on. (assumes soundbar driven directly by TV).

Have fun,

Frank

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I think you may not be able to accomplish this with a splitter. If I'm reading you correctly, you want to split the single monitor output (which now goes to your TV, I assume) to the projector and TV.

Now you have to integrate the soundbar -- options: 1) supposing it has an HDMI switch of its own, hook it up via HDMI between the monitor output and the TV, or 2) hook the HDMI monitor output to the TV and then connect (supposing it has one) the TV's digital coax/Toslink output to the soundbar. Problem with both these options is that the receiver is likely going to remove all audio content from the HDMI output because it has already processed it. Therefore, you can not simultaneously view the projector and TV. You may be able to turn off the receiver and view the TV alone with the soundbar, but this is only if the receiver has HDMI pass-through when off -- some don't.

Then there's another problem with switching in general, which is that usually the HDMI handshake that has to take place typically carries a set of "capabilities", like "I support this resolution and this frame rate" etc... Some of those are audio, some are video. When you have a splitter, it has to attempt to discern greatest common denominator of the capabilities so all devices can function -- some with more success than others. What I believe most receivers having dual monitor outputs do is favor the primary over the secondary. At any rate, this may mess with the projector or TV when they are both trying to operate simultaneously.

That said...like fbov mentioned, you may want to look at a new receiver that handles this situation a bit more gracefully. But, in any case, I'm not sure a splitter is going to help you unless you just want to view one or the other and not both at the same time....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts