AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what I'm trying to do here is control music in different rooms in my house via my iphone.

I'm sure that you all know that with a computer and a soundcard one can control his iTunes and thus his stereo via his iphone.

what I want to do, is make use of my 4-5 unused soundcards, slap them in a box, run multiple Virtual PCs, have iTunes running on each VM and crissen them by room name.

so I would have 1 computer running, and I would wire up my bedroom, kitchen, living room... ext.. to my computer, each room or set of speakers would have its own sound card.

I currently have a box running for virtual computers, but it's Running Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V

and Hyper-V doesn't support soundcards.

I do have a spare box and wouldn't mind running VMware, but before I go through all this, I'm wondering if it's possible to do this with multiple sound cards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree that running 4-5 VMs could be a serious strain.

Just using one OS, with the right software you can output multiple audio streams to different soundcards. I don't use itunes, so I have no idea about which features itunes has, but I know for instance that both foobar2000 and winamp can output their music stream to any attached sound card independently, and both have plugins to be controlled by an ipod touch/iphone. I haven't tried this (I don't have an ipod touch...yet) and I'm guessing that the ipod touch interfaces with each program would be different, and probably not as sleek as the itunes interface. Even so, you could use a fairly old computer to run winamp, foobar and itunes simultaneously and output what you want to 3 different parts of the house. If you search around thee might even be plugins for itunes allowing multiple instances running different soundcards separately.

If you're willing to throw money at the problem, then Sonos seem to be the company to go for. You can control multiple roms separately on your itouch/iphone all in one nice interface with quality components. It costs a fair amount though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that bad actually.

I would run tinyXP as the OS, allocate 512M to each computer. (2G total)

realistically, I'd be running 3 VMs with 3 soundcards.

I know the sonos would be ideal, but it requires money.

I already have all the hardware for this, it's a question on software now.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/16976536

You can probably do this with J River Media center and not using multiple VMs, I bet there's an iPhone app for it, and it supports multiple zones natively.

That would be your best bet. I despise iTunes, but if you must....yes, you can dedicate a sound card per VM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.