AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: It sounds like multiple speakers on a single channel is not a good idea, so I'll go ahead and scrap that idea. I'll leave my original post quoted below, but let's go ahead and change this thread to be about which speakers to use INSTEAD OF doing the multiple speakers. See my post below with details.

Original Post (which we can now ignore):
Hi there, I'm sure it's been asked before but I didn't know what to search for so I'll ask again. Is there anything wrong with wiring up multiple speakers in a given channel? Specifically, I'm in a situation where I can't have large speakers for my left/right speakers, so I'm planning to go with Sonance VP48's for the L/R (and an R1 for the center channel). I'm thinking about using two (2) VP48's for the left and two (2) VP48's for the right channel, wired in parallel. Assuming the impedance (the VP48's show 6 ohm's nominal, 4 ohm's minimum) and wattage of my amp isn't an issue, do you guys see any issue with having 2 speakers on the left wired parallel and 2 on the right wired parallel (I'm thinking I would put them flush/level with the top and bottom of the TV, tweeters closer to the middle, so the top speaker would have the tweeter on the bottom)?

I've attached a simple drawing to explain. The two on the left would not be discrete channels, but wired together in parallel in a single channel. Same with the two on the right. Thoughts? Concerns?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,615 Posts
Hi there, I'm sure it's been asked before but I didn't know what to search for so I'll ask again. Is there anything wrong with wiring up multiple speakers in a given channel? Specifically, I'm in a situation where I can't have large speakers for my left/right speakers, so I'm planning to go with Sonance VP48's for the L/R (and an R1 for the center channel). I'm thinking about using two (2) VP48's for the left and two (2) VP48's for the right channel, wired in parallel. Assuming the impedance (the VP48's show 6 ohm's nominal, 4 ohm's minimum) and wattage of my amp isn't an issue, do you guys see any issue with having 2 speakers on the left wired parallel and 2 on the right wired parallel (I'm thinking I would put them flush/level with the top and bottom of the TV, tweeters closer to the middle, so the top speaker would have the tweeter on the bottom)?

I've attached a simple drawing to explain. The two on the left would not be discrete channels, but wired together in parallel in a single channel. Same with the two on the right. Thoughts? Concerns?
Most on AVS would not do that.

Two 6 ohm speakers in parallel would give 3 ohm load to the amp and if they dip to 4 ohms then you are at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Not to mention the interaction of the speaker pairs with each other, which will tend to smear the sound. My recommendation would be to pool the budget for the four fronts and purchase two better fronts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to mention the interaction of the speaker pairs with each other, which will tend to smear the sound. My recommendation would be to pool the budget for the four fronts and purchase two better fronts.
This is helpful, thanks. It's not about the budget, it's about the size. I have an opening between two studs on the left that is 6 7/8" wide, and if I move one of the studs, the speaker would be behind the TV. Anyways, not getting into that, but I need speaker that fit's into that space width-wise... the vertical is 8' so no issue there. The space is what it is.

What I would ask, then, is about recommendations for other speakers. I need something that is about 6" wide. Because I was planning to go with Sonance speakers, the dual VP48's seemed like a good idea, but clearly is not. So, what would you guys recommend?

I'd say there are two leading options for Left/Right, either keep the VP48's and just do a single VP48 on each side, or go with something like the KEF Ci4100QL.

If I go with the KEF (or keep the VP48's), what would you recommend for the center channel? With the KEF I could keep it simple and do a third Ci4100QL as the center, but I was already leaning towards the Sonance R1. I've got about 23" max width for the center, so either of those speakers will work. I know everyone seems to think you're better sticking with 3 of the same speakers for L/C/R, but I'm more of a believer in having the BEST center channel you can get (afford/fit) over matching LCR. Thoughts? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

PS: attached is the layout of the wall with the speakers, in case people are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Phase cancellation is the thunder you may call down upon yourself by going to a multiple speaker route.

If low impedance is the issue, wiring in series is likely the solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts