AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sound processor has only one subwoofer output and I am going to connect to two subwoofers at equal distance on the right and left of the sofa.

1) How would one measure the subwoofer distance? Is it plus together the total distance of each of the subwoofer to the sitting position?

2) By using the internal calibration noise of the sound processor, how would one measure the noise output from the subwoofer? Is it by measuring each of the subwoofer individually at one at a time or both together at the same time?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
1) You mention that they are at equal distance on each side of the sofa. Does that mean they are at equal distance from your seating position? If so just use the distance to either sub. If not, use the distance to the closest sub.

2) Measure both at the same time.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon /forum/post/14169948

My sound processor has only one subwoofer output and I am going to connect to two subwoofers at equal distance on the right and left of the sofa.

1) How would one measure the subwoofer distance? Is it plus together the total distance of each of the subwoofer to the sitting position?

2) By using the internal calibration noise of the sound processor, how would one measure the noise output from the subwoofer? Is it by measuring each of the subwoofer individually at one at a time or both together at the same time?

Thanks.

Gideon, I have a HSU 3 3 T upfront in left corner (about 14 feet from seating position) and a HSU MBM (about 4 feet from sitting position). HSU recommends to set AVR sub distance to MBM.

I did the following which in my mind is the right thing to do.

My true sub was already balanced againest my FCR speakers so I used the true sub as my reference using a RS SPL. I then turned off the true sub and turned on the MBM, used pink noise from AVR and adjusted MBM gain on the sub until the SPL matched the SPL for the true sub.

When I turned on the true sub with MBM still sending pink noise from AVR I did see a 4-6 db increase having both subs on, I could have dialed the gain down on both to match the balance of the FCRs(Front-Center-Rears) but I did not.

Then I re-ran Audessy on the AVR and Audessy picked the sub distance of the MBM, if it had not I would have changed it so it did per HSU instructions.

I hope this make sence.

Tracy

·
Registered
318 Posts
JL Audio suggests using the average distance if you have multiple subs. See http://home.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10485.pdf . How important do people think it is to find a processor that can set the actual sub distance for each sub rather than going with the average or closest sub difference? Is this a meaningful issue when considering a processor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts