AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

The latest trend in the world of subwoofers seems to be multiple subwoofers system and for good reasons.

Now, assuming that we install two or more subs in a difficult room like mine, that produces tremendous peaks and nulls, in order for the multiple subs to flatten the frequency response should I set their phase to the same setting (0 or 180) or should they be set on the opposite phase, for example in case of a dual set up, one sub to 0 and the other to 180? Please consider that the subs are next to the main speakers with same distance to the listening position

Please share your expertise.

Thank you.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Set them to the same setting. Take a listen with them both set at 0 and then both at 180 and see if there are any differences. If the bass is louder on one or the other, use it.

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
Here is a good resource about phase and how waves interact. There are nice animations to look at which helped me.

http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/D...rposition.html

I use my two up front in-phase. Having two in the back of my room also these are also in-phase. If I were to place two or one on each left and right side of my room at the walls mid points, they would be out-of-phase. Rooms will be different.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/15488606

Set them to the same setting. Take a listen with them both set at 0 and then both at 180 and see if there are any differences. If the bass is louder on one or the other, use it.

what if it's louder because of the peaks that proportionally increase by the multiple sub setup?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
If the subs are set up in front fairly symmetrically, the phase should be set the same assuming they are both wired correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts