AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so sorry if I sound a bit “noobish”. :eek:

I’m currently retrofitting our “man cave” with a home theater system. The whole space is 16,000ft. But once the motorized partition closes, the space is reduced to only about 8,000ft. The diagram below shows the 8,000ft space.

We currently have a 60” Plasma TV that I’m planning to replace with an 84”+ screen once the budget goes up and the cost down. Other than that we have a Denon x2000 AV receiver, 7 Jamo speakers, and single old JBL E250P 12” subwoofer.

The main uses for the sound system are:

1-      Watch football and TV shows. Usually with the full space (16,000ft)

2-      Watch movies from different sources. Always with half the space (8,000ft)

I understand that this is not a dedicated home theater room. I want the best possible sound with what I currently have. The listening area is marked in blue. Mainly, people use the inflatable seats in the middle. Sometimes, the sofas on the side are also used. Apart from the bass, I’m happy with the overall sound quality in the whole TV area.

I was able to source two additional JBL ES250P 12” subwoofer units. They might look different than the older subwoofer, but the specs and graphs are almost the same. I can buy additional subs, but I prefer not to do so to save the cost (for the bigger TV). I also got 3 x Jamo 210 subwoofers that I collected from friends. I also prefer not to use them to skip adding complexity to the project.

The possible locations for the subwoofers are marked in Red. Here are some notes:

1-      Location 4 and 9 are almost 1/3away from the front wall.

2-      Location 5 and 8 are almost 1/3 away from the back motorized door.

3-      I don’t prefer locations 7 and 6 because it might interfere with the billiard game. But that can be ignored for now.

4-      I don’t prefer location 7 because of the glass window in the back.

5-      Additional cabling will be needed if locations 9, 8 or 7 were to be used.

I’m thinking of multiple options. The first is to place all the subwoofers on the top wall (3, 4, and 5).  The other is to place a Subwoofer on each wall but the back motorized partition. The furniture can’t be moved around. I need your help to determine the most likely best locations for the subwoofers.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well the only way to know for sure where a sub or multiple subs will sound good is to try it. Do the sub crawl or invest in measurment equiment.... Honestly if it were me I'd sell every sub you have now and start with 2 identical "real good" subs then as you have more money add 2 more of the same subs. I would be looking at 2 Hsu VTF-15H as an absolute minimum, or 2 PSA XV30, or probably the best reasonable commerical option would be 2 Rythmik FV15HP. You have a huge space to fill so you will need multiple big ported subs to do that.

·
Registered
951 Posts
+1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1521224/multiple-subwoofers-setup-in-8000ft-room#post_24450871

Well the only way to know for sure where a sub or multiple subs will sound good is to try it. Do the sub crawl or invest in measurment equiment.... Honestly if it were me I'd sell every sub you have now and start with 2 identical "real good" subs then as you have more money add 2 more of the same subs. I would be looking at 2 Hsu VTF-15H as an absolute minimum, or 2 PSA XV30, or probably the best reasonable commerical option would be 2 Rythmik FV15HP. You have a huge space to fill so you will need multiple big ported subs to do that.

I totally agree with you. However, my biggest issue is that none of he good quality subwoofers sell in my country. I have to order them from US. four $1000 Subwoofers will cost me a total of $10000+ to get them here. That is a cost I'm willing to pay, just not right now.

Right now, the max I can do is to get another two JBL Subwoofer.  All three JBLs I currently got were gifts. So, I want to try with them first and then decide on what to do next.

Regarding the measurment equipment. I'm still reading articles to find out what should I buy.

On the Crawling subject, all the articles I read mention a single sub. How can I do it with multiple subs? shall I do it for each sub alone or should I place all three subs in the seating area?

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali  /t/1521224/multiple-subwoofers-setup-in-8000ft-room/0_50#post_24458614

I totally agree with you. However, my biggest issue is that none of he good quality subwoofers sell in my country. I have to order them from US. four $1000 Subwoofers will cost me a total of $10000+ to get them here.
DIY. If you don't have the skills/time to build an enclosure, pay a local cabinetmaker to do it and you'll still be well in front performance wise even if the cost is the same, which I doubt. It will most likely be lower.

If you are not in the US, it's best to say where you're from as people might have experience with the region and offer solutions.

The sub crawl will only need to be done once as the modes are based upon the physical dimensions of the room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts