Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I don't know if this has been covered in detail previously and I missed it. I did a search and didn't come up with this specifically.

After having HT set-up for a year, I decided that the bass wasn't what it should be, so I went looking for another sub to add to my system. I have cheap, large speakers for my system, so my thought was to add a sub to the center or right/left speakers to add more bass to those channels.

I found that made an improvement to the bass, but I found by changing the subwoofer setting on my receiver from ON to PLUS made a bigger difference, but so did changing the speaker size in the receiver from LARGE to SMALL.

Now I am all confused. My thought was to have large speakers so that the subwoofer could be used only for LFE. Is this thinking wrong??? I thought that having a sub dedicated to just LFE would allow for the best low frequency results because the sub wouldn't be maxed trying to do all the low sounds.

So the question is, what is better - having one sub and all bass going thru it, or mutiple subs - one for LFE and one or more for other channels? If it is better to have one sub, should you set the speakers to SMALL or the bass to PLUS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have never heard of doing it this way, but my initial thought was that sub bass is non directional, and while some lower, but not sub level bass is also, the majority of non sub bass is directional, so even though that low bass isn't in stereo so you can't split it, it seems you would have directional bass coming out on one side, and not the other. It seems like it could create an imbalanced sounding stage for movies.

I am going to follow this one because I am not sure on this, but that is just the concern that comes to mind. I thought of getting 2 subs a few years ago, and was thinking I could run them like mains with a stereo effect and then found out it was mono no matter how many I had, and so if all I am getting is more of it, then I have enough now or at least as much as my wife will not veto.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.