AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to put two 37" LCD HDTV's on the walls in his pool table room. He has Comcast and would like to be able to control each TV indepently.

If he does this, the TV's would be mounted to the walls, no wires showing, no boxes exposed. He has a laundry room next to this room where he could put the Comcast HD-DVR's for the TV's. He is concerned with how to control the TV's. I mentioned that he could use an IR distibution system for it, but I don't know a whole lot about the systems.

What would the most basic set-up consist of? Two IR targets and two repeaters (one for each box) and some sort of signal amp or something? I mentioned using the round tube style collectors, so that he can just have a little dot under each TV so that he can just point at the TV he wants to control and go.

Any other ideas? Anything I am missing here?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Yes, I think you are missing something. The IR beam spreads out pretty fast from a remote. And it gets reflect by surfaces in the room. I think both targets are almost always going to see it. If they do, and the boxes they control are the same make and model, they will both react to the command. If the boxes have different enough command coding, it might work with two different remotes. Then you only need one target and one or more emitters at the boxes.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely, the boxes will be the same brand and make and everything, since they would be supplied by Comcast at the same time.

I was figuring that he would have to block the reflected signal with his body or something when switching channels, that isn't that hard to do. I don't know what kind of boxes Comcast gives out for HD-DVR's, he was thinking that they would be able to be controlled separatly, but I wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
agree with DMILANI, an other idea would be a different remote and hooking the IR distribution system to a Xantech IR router

·
Registered
725 Posts
If Comcast has Scientific Atlanta set top boxs, SA has an accessory called an "IR Extender Blue". The "IR Extender Blue" enables the STB to use an alternate set of IR codes. The STB must have a USB port. This would allow you to control each TV independently.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
I have a similar setup with 3 Sharp TV's side by side:

I use addressable ports from an RF remote (RTI T3/RP-6) each with an IR emitter with blackout covers and there is no interference

the remote is programmed with a separate page for each display

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
markrubin, sounds like your solution would work well. Can you give more information about the RTI T3/RP-6, since I don't know anything about it? What is RTI?

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
RTI site:

http://www.rticorp.com/

these remotes are my favorites but the software is controlled so you have to work thru a dealer: they also do one way RS232 which is another way to control the displays but I use infrared as it is much easier

the HTM MX series remotes with MRF modules will work fine as well

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O.K., so, after seeing the cost of the RTI stuff, there is no way my buddy will go for that.

Other options so far:

1) IR Extender Blue if the boxes are Scientific Atlantic

2) IR repeaters and blocking the other IR receiver when pointing the one remote

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Scott, you have to enter a password to download it.

Scott, what price point would your friend be looking at? The RTI T3 plus the routable IR is easily over $1000 if not closer to $2000 I believe.

An MX-800 or MX-850 with MRF-250 can be had for much less.

-D

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really don't know the price range, but he is probably looking for not only easy but basically cheap as well. I would say if he could get it done for under $300, he would do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.