AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Denon 4308CI hooked up to our Blu-Ray player, Tivo, and Apple TV for use with our TV, a Pioneer Kuro Elite. It's recently come to our attention that our neighbors in the building can hear the sound when it's playing, and having lived with noisy neighbors nearby before, we want to do whatever it takes not to be like that.

So we'd like to be able to plug high quality, preferably wireless, headphones into our Denon received and watch Blu-Rays/Tivo/Apple TV that way, so we don't disturb the neighbors.

I've seen wireless headphones advertised online, but I can't figure out if they can support multiple headsets. We need to be able to run two pairs of headphones off of this at the same time, since it's generally two of us watching TV.

And I'd prefer to avoid a solution where headphones have to be plugged into the source devices rather than the receiver output, since we often watch one thing from Blu-Ray, then another on Tivo, etc., so we'd like it to just work with whatever the Denon receiver would otherwise be sending to the speakers.

What solutions should we look at? We're willing to pay for quality, so money isn't so much the limiting factor here.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I'm using Sennheiser RS120 headphones, they aren't rated the best, but we've been extremely happy with them over the years (yes years) we have been using them.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Over-Ear-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368568626&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+headphones+sennheiser

They are analog headphones and take an RCA input into them so I feed it off my analog audio switcher. You likely will need to hook up analog audio to get the audio to your headphones this way, but it gives you an 'always available' audio connection.

We tuned the second set to the same channel that the first set are operating on and they work just great.

Sennheiser, I know, lists other headphones which allow for multiple headphones to be used with the same base station.

What I like: The base station cradle is the charger for the standard AAA batteries that it uses. The range is good. The batteries last for hours and hours. A full evening of viewing is easily possible. The volume can be plenty loud enough. They are very comfortable for extended viewing.

What I don't like - there can be some noise on the line. Just some static similar to what you might get with a wireless phone. It tends to not be annoying, and moving my head an inch left or right often corrects it.

I have not tried the digital units, which are a fair bit more expensive, but I would expect would fix this issue.

Since it is not a 1:1 link, but a sending base station, and the you tune the headset to that base station, I believe that you could use 100 headsets with a single base station.

I'm not sure how your 4308 receiver will handle the analog audio output which you would want to use for the headphones. I would think you could run the headphones off of zone 2, or more likely the 'record output' of the receiver (labeled VCR or DVR Out), but you may very well need to hook up analog audio inputs for each source, the AppleTV requiring a cheap DAC to do this. This is something easy enough to experiment with after you get whatever headphones you end up using.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Any wireless headphone transmitter (except Bluetooth) can be used with as many sets of headphones as you like. It's one-way communication.

The digital ones are best for noise immunity, and the best ones can sound as good as wired phones. IR transmission works well, but the newer IR sets have the advantage of working through walls. Can keep the phones on as you raid the fridge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts