AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for asking a question that seems to pop up once in a while, but I could not find the answer to my question in the archives.

I have a dual lnb dish and two lines currently attached to a DirecTivo. I have just added a TS-160 and need a third line for that. I know that changing to the 3-lnb dish would work for this. The question is, would the Sat-C kit plus some kind of multiswitch work equally well? If so, what kind of switch do I need?

Thanks a ton as I haven't been able to find any information pages out there that I can understand.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It sounds like you have an original "round" (it may look oval and it may be the approximate size of the new Phase III 3 LNB oval dish) dual LNB dish. My original Sony dish had 2 LNBs but it only picks up one satellite (SAT A) at 101 degrees and it doesn't include a multiswitch.

If you have a Phase II dish, it's 18" x 24" and has an open slot between the LNBs for SAT A at 101 degrees and SAT B at 119 degrees where you can install the optional SAT C LNB which picks up the satellite at 110 degrees. This style dish also includes a 4-way multi-switch.

Bottom line: If you have one of the original dual LNB "round" dishes, you need a Phase II oval dish to receive HDNet, HBO HD and HD PPV. You need a Phase II oval dish with a SAT C kit or a Phase III 3 LNB dish to also get Showtime HD and probably any new HD channels that Directv will add in the future. Both Phase II and Phase III dishes include a 4-way multi-switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the information!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Crash_Corrigan:

I read the same information on the DirecTV website but BB guys are just plain misinformed. They tell me i need a triple-LNB dish to receive any HDTV programming. One question i do have, if i have a dual-LNB installed alongwith a normal reciever, can i start receiving HDTV programming with a tuner like SIR-T160 ? Do i need to pay DirecTV another activation/installation/god-knows-what fee ? BB guy says i do !

Even DirecTV sales reps are useless, they couldn't give me proper information on anything HD, all they can offer is the 2-room sat deal at 49.99$. Nothing with triple-lnb, no clue about sat-c...

Nivas

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Srinivos,

If you have one of the 18" x 24" oval dishes with 2LNBs (and a slot for the optional 3rd LNB in between them) and a multiswitch, you should be able to hook up an HD STB (I'm not sure about the Samsung model numbers...you'd need the Samsung HD STB that's a Directv HD STB) and you can get HBO HD, HDNet and HD PPV. Showtime HD is on SAT C and you would need the optional SAT C kit to add that 3rd LNB to your dish. Any future HD channels that Directv adds are supposed to be on the SAT C, so you could add the optional SAT C kit now or later. When you hook up an additional STB, you have to call Directv and activate it. Directv will charge you an additional $5 per month for the 2nd STB and they will turn on your HD service so you can receive HDNet (which is free with a subscription to any Total Choice package) and HD PPV. If you have a subscription to HBO and/or Showtime, their HD channels will be added for free. Or, you can decide to subscribe to either HBO and/or Showtime if you want to. There's no activation fee for them to activate your STB.

As for the reps, most aren't very knowledgeable. IF you try to get the 3 LNB dish from Directv, ask for the Para Dos kit. The Spanish Language channels require the oval 3 LNB dish. Check out AmericanSatellite.com or Orbitsatellite.com. They sell HD packages online. But, also check your local stores. My E86 and 3 LNB Terk oval dish (also called a Phase III dish) were cheaper at Best Buy and Circuit City (I got the E86 at Best Buy and the dish at Circuit City) than at the online stores last November (factoring shipping vs. local and state sales tax in may case). You may also be able to get a credit of maybe a couple hundred dollars for your HD STB purchase and/or a free dish upgrade if you call Directv and ask for customer retention and explain that you want to upgrade to HD but think the cost of the new dish and STB are too expensive and that you are considering the jump to HD cable. But, you have to negotiate before you activate your HD STB or you lose all leverage and they probably won't do anything for you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With an 18" round dish, you can receive high definition pay per view, channel 198, which is broadcast from the 101 bird. With an 18"x24" dish, you can get HDNet and HBO HD, which is from the 119 bird. Showtime HD is on the 110 bird, which requires either a Sat C kit on an 18"x24" dish, or a 18"x20" Phase III dish.

FYI, DirecTV will sell you a Phase III dish with installation for $49.99 plus shipping, if you agree to sign up with Total Choice for another 12 months, which is much cheaper than buying it from a retail store.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know if this will help but I recently installed a Winstrom triple LNB dish with an integrated multi-switch (4 outputs). The problem was that the customer needed something like 13 locations for satellite. I was able to use a special multi-switch from Spaun that "multi-switched" the outputs of the multi-switch by running 4 RG-6 leads into the multi-switch and setting a dial on the Spaun for 22khz. I believe that Terk also makes one of these multi-switches.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know if this will help but I recently installed a Winstrom triple LNB dish with an integrated multi-switch (4 outputs). The problem was that the customer needed something like 13 locations for satellite. I was able to use a special multi-switch from Spaun that "multi-switched" the outputs of the multi-switch by running 4 RG-6 leads into the multi-switch and setting a dial on the Spaun for 22khz. I believe that Terk also makes one of these multi-switches.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think there tends to be quite a bit of confusion because the term "dual-LNB" is somewhat ambiguous.

Back in the early days, you could get single-LNB and dual-LNB (round) dishes. The single-LNB version supported only a single receiver. The dua-LNB version supported two receivers (or more, with a multiswitch). The only visible difference between the single- and dual-LNBs was that the dual had two F connectors and the single had only one.

Then, along came the dishes that could get both the 101 and 119 satellites. These dishes had two dual LNBs. One for the 101 sat and one for the 119 sat. They also required a 4xN mulitswitch. The problem is, lots of folks refer to these as dual-LNB dishes. So, when someone says they have a dual-LNB dish, you don't really know whether they have a round, single sat, dish or an elliptical, dual sat, dish.

When someone says they have a triple-LNB dish, you can be sure of what they have, even though in reality it is a 5-LNB dish. (Two dual-LNBs and a single-LNB in the middle.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.