Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I purchased a Toshiba 50HX81 and DST3000 today and am started to plan my setup for this new hardware which in turn lead me to a couple of questions. Just wanted everyone to know that I did do an extensive search through the archives and found a lot of info related to this topic and my questions are ones that I could not find answers to.

I currently have two legacy Directv boxes that I would like to continue to use in addition to the new DST3000. I am also installing an attic mount antenna to receive any OTA stuff available in the Chicagoland area. I have a dual-lnb 18-inch antenna outside. I plan on installing a second dual-lnb 18-inch antenna for the 119 Sat for Directv HD. I chose this route since I read about how hard it is to align an oval dish -- I also happen to have a spare 18-inch lying around :).

My setup should look exactly as the one described in http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/di...wodish.htm#106

This leads to my questions:

1) In the diagram in the link given above, can I substitute my legacy receivers for the DTV + receivers as indicated in the diagram? That is, instead of the 4 DTV + receivers indicated in the diagram I would have 2 old Sony SAT-B1 legacy receivers and one DST3000, with one output staying open. Just wanted to confirm that a cable carrying a signal from both 101 and 119 would not confuse my old Sony receivers.

2) What is the best bang for the buck powered 5 in/4 out multiswitch(with a built in amp. for the UHF/VHF signals) available?

3) Are there any recommended diplexers to split the satellite / TV signal at the receiver end and are these an ABSOLUTE requirement?

I apologize for my long post but I wanted to be as thorough with the details.

Any suggestions/answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
1) DTV or DTV+ will not make a difference. The MS just chooses which dish feed to connect through to each receiver. The receiver requests a dish by DC voltage and the 22KHz tone. Your old rcvrs will just never ever request the B dish (119).

2) You only really need the powered switch if you have long cable runs. Most powered switches need to be inside and have access to 110 AC. I have a Spaun 5x8 that I got from a guy that was selling them on the Tivo board a while back. It works well but is normally expensive. I got it for cheap otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money.

There are oodles of posts on this topic over in the Tivo forum because the DirecTV/Tivo boxes now support two tuners and this is spurring people to rewire. Go to the DirecTV/Tivo section on the Tivo forum at this site and do a search for multiswitch.

BTW - I did the two dish thing for the same reason, I had an extra dish. Worked fine for me. Note that any pointing directions you get from your receiver will assume you have the wide dish. You can go here and use EchoStar 1&2 as the choice to get 119: http://www.orbitsat.com/Support/Point.htm For Chicago it will be ~222 AZ, 32 EL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.