AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got DirecTV about 8 months ago, ordered Para Todos package (in order to get the Oval dish)...

Since then I purchased Zenith DTV 1080 and just recieved my free Sat C kit..

Went on my roof and what I see... Ant. A goes directv into my house and there are 3 free wires... I installed that Sat. C LNB, but I could not find my multiswitch anywhere, so those 3 wires are still hanging loose..

Quesrtions:

1) Should I call directv and request a free Multiswitch? Should I go out and purchase a multiswitch?

2) Was the installer supposed to install multiswitch for Tara Todos package? or Tara todos being transmitted via Sat. A?

3) There is a multiswitch inside the enclosure, where the 3 LNBs now reside - is that the Switch that I need? I opened it up, but it did not have any connectors, RG cable was directly connected somewhere inside the switch..

Any help greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Your system need a multi switch that has four (five if you count an imput for diplexing a terrestrial antenna) inputs and at least the number of outputs that corresponds with your receiver number. The C kit comes with a combiner so that the single output of the C lnb will combine with wire from the 119 lnb that goes to the 18 volt input on the switch. So you will have two wires from the 101 lnb, two from the 119 lnb, one of which is combined with the output from the C lnb.

I wonder if you have been using only the 101 sat? Have you been watching HD? Art.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys..

I figured most of it out..

My house in NJ only had Sat. A Connected. Installation guy never provided me a multiswitch..

When I went to my apt. in Brooklyn, NY (that is where I had my SONY XBR 700 and Zenith DTV 1080 and HDNET aloing with 509 HBO), I saw a multiswitch right behind a Satellite Dish.. I took it out and plan to install it in my NJ house when the weather clears up (it is raining badly now)..

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Lloyd
Your system need a multi switch that has four (five if you count an imput for diplexing a terrestrial antenna) inputs and at least the number of outputs that corresponds with your receiver number. The C kit comes with a combiner so that the single output of the C lnb will combine with wire from the 119 lnb that goes to the 18 volt input on the switch. So you will have two wires from the 101 lnb, two from the 119 lnb, one of which is combined with the output from the C lnb.

I wonder if you have been using only the 101 sat? Have you been watching HD? Art.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
last question:

I opened up my Oval dish And I have..

Sat A - 2 inputs - and two cables out...

Sat B - 2 inputs and two cables out..

Sat C - 1 input - ???????? should there a cable be out?

According to some diagrams - I should have a 5th cable coming outta the feed tube and going into my Sat C/Sat B combiner, then have that combiner into Sat B (18V)..

My question is - should I have the 5th wire and if yes, how do I connect it?

Or should I simply take a sat B cable (1 of 2 available) and split it into Sat C/Sat B combiner then out to multiswitch and be done?

My multiswitch is gonna be right behind the dish...

Thanks a lot for the help in advance..

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you look at figure 3 (Sat A, Sat B, and Sat C Connection Diagram), you can identify 5 cables attached to the LNB's. 2 come from Sat A (and go directly to the multiswitch), 2 come from Sat B (one get's diverted to the Combiner that's in your Kit, and marked Sat B IN), and 1 comes from the new Sat C LNB (and also goes to the Combiner, and is marked Sat C IN).

The combiner in your Sat C kit takes one input from a Sat B cable, and one input from the new Sat C cable, with the output (marked Out To Multiswitch) going to the Sat B 18v input on the multi-switch.

Clear?

Duke

·
Registered
76 Posts
i just recieved my new elliptical dish and sat c kit. I am trying to figure out how to connect it all. Do i need a multiswitch to get this all running? I only have one reciever that i am using. and if i do, where do i get one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Argus_23: I read somewhere in one of these "Sat C" threads that the newer dishes have the multiswitch built into the dish hardware. If you have more than one feedhorn (LNB) on your dish, you need a multi-switch to get it all connected. Check some of the threads here going back a few days for discussion on how to connect these newer dishes.

Duke

·
Registered
76 Posts
i figured out that with these new dishes that have the built in multiswitch, which i couldnt understand at first. now that i get it, it makes sense. the four cable leads that are there just go to the receivers and that is it.

thanks for the help all

Ray

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK, So the four lead go to the four receivers. Do you connect the combiner to the cable that goes to the HD set and the Sat C and B LNBs to the combiner? I have two sets and four cables coming out of the dish. Two are not terminated and the other two go to the two sets. Everything works so the multi switch must be in the dish. How do you connect the Sat C LNB to the dish multiswitch? Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
rabushka

once u put that sat c LNB in the middle spot , that is all u have to do , the reciever will see it and u should be able to get SHOHD if u are subscribed to it. and that should be on all 4 cables.

Ray

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks,

The online instructions explain this although in small print.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe that I have one of the new dishes (Eagle Aspen S-5040-CE) with a built in mulitswitch. Does anyone know if I can add the LNB from my old round dish into SatC. position on the dish? or Is the SatC. LNB a special LNB specific to SatC. The SatC. spot on dish has one input, but the LNB from my old round dish has two outputs. By the way, I've just tried it, and I'm getting the channels (90 and 543) on my HD-100 guide, but the both say "searching for satellite signal.." I am getting a zero (0) reading for all transponders on SatC.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the sat c lnb is specifically designed for that location only, u can not use any other lnb for that location. Calling D* will get u the sat c with self install for under 9 bucks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.