AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a message about this, but still haven't received a definitive answer. I have a 3 x 4 multiswitch mounted on the roof on a DTV+ dish. All four lines are being used. Two of them go into a Tivo receiver. Would I be able to take the two lines from the Tivo, put them in the inputs of another 3 x 4 multiswitch, then run two lines from the output of the second multiswitch into the Tivo and run the other two into a new receiver? Would I pick up the channels and would DTV be able to recognize the new receiver?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, this absolutely will work.

I have done this before.

Larry

·
Registered
209 Posts
it will work just fine, but if you ever upgrade to an oval dish (and to a 4- or 5x4 switch), receiver downstream of the "added" switch will not be able to access the 119 satellite. To do that, you need to buy special "cascadable" multiswitches.

dinesh

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying. I realize that I typed part of my message wrong. I have a 4 x 4 multiswitch on the roof. I decided to experiment.

I got a working receiver from my son's room. I took two inputs out of my Tivo in my bedroom and ran them into the inputs of a 3 x 4 multiswitch I had lying around. I ran two output lines from the multiswitch into the Tivo and the other two into my son's receiver. They both worked fine. I don't have high definition upstairs, so it doesn't matter if they read the 119 satellite.

I'm assuming that if I buy another receiver, Tivo or otherwise, that DirectTV will be able to recognize it as long as it has a phone line plugged into it. Do you see any reason why they wouldn't?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Learningman,

What I meant was, Will Direct TV be able to "see" it to activate the card if it's on a second multiswitch. Don't they activate it through a phone line?

Henry

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Cards are activated via the datastream. The phone line is a one way connection to dump your PPVs only. Once this is done and recorded at DTV; even it triggers a datastream signal to clear your card of PPVs you have reported as purchased. Absolutely NO updates to the card occurs via the phone line. Don't let anyone tell you any different. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting. I didn't know that, and wouldn't expect that most people would. I assume not knowing this keeps people honest! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LearningMan
Cards are activated via the datastream.
Right.

See http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/ for a complete description.

Unit authorization, etc. is contained in the System Information stream.

For the datacom nerds among us the interesting thing about this system is that the receivers all simply discard packets for "uninteresting" streams, so the head end can switch from TDM to stat-mux without the receivers having to know about it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
LOL

Most people on this forum are probably not as intimately involved in DSS as a hobby as I am either. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to make sure I understand this. When I call DTV and read them my HU card and serial numbers, they send out info through the datastream that all receivers other then the one I'm trying to activate ignore?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a Dish 6000 receiver and had a drd515rb reveiver with DirectTV. I NEVER had either connected to a phone line. I cannot get PPV, but do not want them either. You do not need or require a phone line to receive Dish or DTV, just PPV.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmil
I want to make sure I understand this. When I call DTV and read them my HU card and serial numbers, they send out info through the datastream that all receivers other then the one I'm trying to activate ignore?
Yes hmil. That is exactly how it works.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last question. Does the same thing happen when an update to the software occurs? Does the phone call just initiate the sending out of the datastream to my receiver?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:
Last question. Does the same thing happen when an update to the software occurs? Does the phone call just initiate the sending out of the datastream to my receiver?

Yep, software updates come down the stream just like the activation. Receivers that need them use them, everyone else ignores them. The frequency that the updates are sent varies depending on the make and model but for the most part they are usually sent once or twice a day.

-apnar

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I am currently using a channel master 8 way switcher to which I have 2 HD DSS receivers and 6 standard DSS receivers, is there currently a 16 way multiswitcher or a 4 way switcher I can add without having to add an additional oval dish?

LJG

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
I am currently using a channel master 8 way switcher to which I have 2 HD DSS receivers and 6 standard DSS receivers, is there currently a 16 way multiswitcher or a 4 way switcher I can add without having to add an additional oval dish?

LJG
I am not familiar with a tone switch (which would be necessary to get the HD feeds from 119 and the regular feeds from 101) that has 8 or 16 outputs. That's news to me.

Currently there are no Tone Multiswitches that are greater than 4x4 (4 outputs) as far as I know. All currently available units are also passive and do not support diplexing of cable/OTA signals UNLESS it is done back-side on each individual run. Multiple Tone Switches CAN be used by splitting EACH leg from the LNBs with high-freq splitters and making sure each one goes to the same TYPE of input in each switch. I have 3 4x4s (for a total of 12 outputs) running to one oval with all 3 LNBs and it works like a champ. All passive except I have RCA in-line amps ($20 each) in FRONT of each of the four input legs. The power from the multiswitches (line power) supplies power to these.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Not exactly. The upgrades come down triggered on a particular firmware code and sequence and if your receiver is affected, it takes it. If it's not; it simply ignores it totally. Your phone line has NOTHING to do with firmware upgrades at all. Again, the phone connection does nothing but report PPV purchases along with your IRD number and Card number. Period. Nothing else. Ever.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LearningMan
I am not familiar with a tone switch (which would be necessary to get the HD feeds from 119 and the regular feeds from 101) that has 8 or 16 outputs. That's news to me.

Currently there are no Tone Multiswitches that are greater than 4x4 (4 outputs) as far as I know. All currently available units are also passive and do not support diplexing of cable/OTA signals UNLESS it is done back-side on each individual run. Multiple Tone Switches CAN be used by splitting EACH leg from the LNBs with high-freq splitters and making sure each one goes to the same TYPE of input in each switch. I have 3 4x4s (for a total of 12 outputs) running to one oval with all 3 LNBs and it works like a champ. All passive except I have RCA in-line amps ($20 each) in FRONT of each of the four input legs. The power from the multiswitches (line power) supplies power to these.
Unless I am misunderstanding something you're saying, you are mistaken in this assumption. There are indeed 4x8 and 5x8 MS on the market.

In particular, I recently purchased the trunkline (made by JVI) 5x8 MS, which does indeed support the 22kHz tone for access to 119. it is also powered (active), though I am not sure if it amplifies DSS, OTA, both, or neither.

Moreover, I believe Spaun also has a 5x8 switch (which is significantly more expensive than the trunkline I have). I've also see a web page for a "funtime" 5x8, but don't know anything more about it.

dinesh

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I am not familiar with everything available in the after-market line. All I try to stay familiar with is the OEMs (in this case ChannelMaster) product lines. You may very well be correct.

I said I didn't know of any. That doesn't mean they do not exist.

the answer to the original poster's question remains the same regardless; each leg can be broken out and input to multiple switches regardless of the number of outputs they have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.