AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago a question was raised within different threads whether a multiswitch was always in use when tuner failure occured.

Because of the history of heat problems with UTVs I have installed a slot cooling fan directly over the tuners exhausting through the back before the unit is ever plugged in!!!!

Used an RCA relay multiswitch (lots of noise from the clicking relays every channel change) no problem for months. Because of wifely complaints regarding the clicking and the fact that we wanted more satellite outputs I upgraded? to a fully digital (non-clicking) 3x8 multiswitch by OPM. I don't use the vhf/uhf input.

Within a week I am starting to get intermittent tuner failures.

Put the old relay RCA switch back into the system cascading the outputs to the new multiswitch but taking the direct output from the RCA to the UTV. Still getting tuner failures-- more frequently now. OUCH!!!!!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi watching... I raised that question a while ago... got only one response.

He did NOT use a multiswitch and had tuner failure.

I have seen four different types of tuner failures. Maybe one IS caused by multiswitches??

Maybe a poll should be started...see what the percentage of multiswitch tuner failures there are...

Conveniently enough today my personal UTV is constantly crashing... locking up, reseting its self over and over, going into constant flashing green light and sometimes showing a signal and sometimes not showing a signal.

If a software download doesn't spruce the ol'girl up I'll be going to the Tivo forums.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Klassic,

Don't want to cross you on your UTV experience (since you've already had experience "pioneering" UTV Tuner repairs...)

I hope the Jenny code works for you here... but might I suggest if that fails you might want to attempt a "Default" code (Some call it a "format" or delete code) but I just hate calling it something that isn't 100% accurate...

2355 2355 and 5532 5532 are the codes that basicly "wipe" the UTV of everything except the OS... you'll loose all settings and Recordings (Upcoming and MY SHOWS)... These codes have been used on occasion to resolve issues that many usually claimed were "toasted" Hard Drive problems... Maybe it will help you... Remember to backup your shows and settings (Tape/Disc)

Later,

·
Registered
202 Posts
My UTV had a tuner 1 failure. It and 2 other UTV's are feeding from a powered 3/8 multiswitch. I thought this to be the problem. With these digital tuners it very well may be the cause. Prior to the 3/8 I was running a standard 2/4 multiswitch. 2 outputs to the main UTV, and 2 single lines to the other 2. The failure was quick after changing to the 3/8. NOT heat related IMO.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 01-0800
My UTV had a tuner 1 failure. It and 2 other UTV's are feeding from a powered 3/8 multiswitch. I thought this to be the problem. With these digital tuners it very well may be the cause. Prior to the 3/8 I was running a standard 2/4 multiswitch. 2 outputs to the main UTV, and 2 single lines to the other 2. The failure was quick after changing to the 3/8. NOT heat related IMO.
The coincidence of the timing to the very short interval after switching to the digital multiswitch before experiencing any tuner systems raises a big red flag to me. Considering your experience 01-800 I'm wondering if I should try and find a relayed 2/8 or 3/8 multiswitch.

Anyone have brand/ model recommendations for a good 8 output multiswitch (other than a $300plus Spaun).

Will reload my OS first. Thanks all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't know how you set up works... but could you use 2- 4 output LNB's. They are only 40$.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the clicking doesn't bother me mostly happens on rain days however i have discovered the rca multiswitch even though in a bright metal case isn't weather resistant at all. i exchanged three before i just mounted the thing inside the house. clicking happens sometime but for the most part i got no complaints.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can actually get a Spaun on Ebay most of the time for around $100. There is one on there now right @ $85 with a couple of hours to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do the 2/4 multiswitches also make loud clicking noises when changing channels or is just the 3/8 ones? How loud is this clicking? I have my UTV near where i sleep. If i have it set to record a show at 2am, when i'm sleeping, and then switch to record a show on a different channel at 3am, would that clicking sound be loud enough to wake me up if the multiswitch were near the UTV?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whether it clicks or not depends on whether the circuitry inside has a mechanical (relay, clicking) or fully electronic (digital, silent) switching mechanism. Multiswitches can be either type--engineering preference I suspect because price doesn't seem to be any guide.

If the shows you are recording in the middle of the night are on the same lnb polarization, no switch will be necessary. i.e. even a mechanical relay switch will not make any noise. The click is not that loud but definitely audible with a relay switch. If you do have one that clicks and you hear it in the middle of the night when your second show starts, hopefully that will just reassure you that all is operating well & let you quickly return to la-la land with a smile on your face.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.