AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any suggestions on a multitester? After reading deeper into how to calibrate and setup my ECP I realize that I will definitely need one. I'm sure a reasonably priced Radio Shack one will do the trick but I figured I better check with the pro's first. Thanks, John.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Pretty much any digital meter will work. I prefer Flukes..

Curt

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Don't just stop at the meter. If you can at all find them, also pick up test leads which end in alligator clips as well as a set which ends in micro clips. Having the ability to securely clamp onto a test point is totally worth the $40 or so for extra test leads. It is no fun trying to keep the tip of a test probe from slipping off a contact and shorting out on something else while trying to read the meter. A nice set of test leads with clips could very well save you from shorting out a component with an accidental probe slip.

As Curt says, you have a great variety to choose from and there shouldn't be a massive differnce so long as you stay with a good brand like Fluke or Tektronix. Wavetek is one brand which is okay and gives a lot of machine for the money. I personally use a Tektronix DMM912 because I like its 4 1/2 digit precision readout, autoranging, and additional measuring capbilites for capacitance, inductance, and frequency count. That's not to say that a simpler meter wouldn't be fine for your use.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Doug has a good point about the dropping part (no, we _NEVER_ do that) and the probes. Get a good set of probes for a crappy meter, and it is amazing how good it 'feels'.

Tooltime Tim would totally understand what that means!

Curt

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Now its time to make a decision on a meter and block out some time for some electronics calibration. I definately won't be looking at the Fluke 87. It's too pricey and it's about what I paid for my projector (ECP 3101). I think I am going to hit the Radio Shack and go from there. Autoranging and alligator clips are a must and those features can be obtained at a reasonable price. I know my PJ is out of whack because I just couldn't help tinkering with it. I'll never forget the day I pulled back the cover and saw all the components sitting there begging me for attention. It was working great when I got it. Unfortunatley I "unserviced" it and the convergence doesn't hold very well. Good thing it has the ACON. Curt I know exactly what you mean about the good 'feel'.

Thank You,

John

·
Registered
499 Posts
You probably already have enough sources, but there's a place called allelectronics, that has pretty nice ones too, I have this one, and it does capacitance, frequency, temperature, etc., features usually found on the higher end models, it has the yellow rubber surround thingie and is as "sturdy" as my Fluke in my "work" toolkit. They probably have every lead option you can imagine too! Even some video goodies, such as cable, connectors, etc. Good resource.

Enjoy

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good News! After looking at a few different models I have taken the advice of da_burl and purchased the 3 1/2 digit LCD Multi-Funtion LCD Meter he recomeneded. Considering my level of knowledge and the few applications I have for such a device this was the right unit for me. The price was right too. Thanks for all the great help....not to mention I'm sure other members will positively gain from all the outstanding advice and information provided in this thread.

Thank You,

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.