AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to set up a system that would allow me to run/control 8 to 10 speakers inside and 2 speakers outside. Inside speakers are all in adjacent rooms and will always play the same music/source. Outside speakers could possibly run a different source. All music, no video. I would like to have panels in each room that would allow at least volume control. Any suggestions how to best set up this type of system? I have read a little about Niles and Russound distribution products which look nice but I am wondering if I need that much functionality given that it's really just a two zone/two source system that needs to run up to about a dozen speakers. Any advice would be welcomed. Thx

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would treat it as a simple 2 zone stereo set-up with impedance matching volume controls. Use a 2-zone stereo receiver such as the Integra DTM 5.9. Use the main zone for the outside zone, and everything else on the second zone. The second zone requires outboard amplification; this would be your opportunity to use a decent high current amplifier for the 8-10 speakers inside such as the Integra ADM 2.1 or 30.1. The volume controls in each location (or alternatively use a speaker selector w/ volume controls at the headend) will take care of impedance matching for the multiple sets of speakers. Niles, Russound and SnapAV all make decent impedance matching products like volume controls (either local or centralized)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, this is very helpul. Let me ask a more specific question.

The patio speakers are currently hooked up to a Denon AVR-687 receiver which is a 7.1 multi-zone receiver, but nothing fancy.

I've purchased some of the Russound Acclaim ceiling speakers as well as a Jamo speaker selector w volume control. The ceiling speakers will handle significant power; I think up to 175 watts. So, my question is - is this receiver which will run 85w per channel likely to be able to run 12 speakers very well. And, if not, can additional amplification be added to this receiver or would I need a different solution. I've taken a quick look at the Denon manual but didn't see any quick answers. Thx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question - if you can add amplification this way, can you add a 2 channel amp or does it need to be multi-channel. If 2-channel, how does the amplification get spread across the various speakers. Apologies in advance for the lack of basic understanding here.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceowl94 /forum/post/19595769

One more question - if you can add amplification this way, can you add a 2 channel amp or does it need to be multi-channel. If 2-channel, how does the amplification get spread across the various speakers. Apologies in advance for the lack of basic understanding here.

As long as the speaker selector / volume control is impedance-matching, yes, it will work. But if you actually try to turn on all the speakers at once, you probably won't be satisfied with the volume output. 1 or 2 zones at a time, though, should be no problem. The amplification is "split" across any speaker that's enabled. Note, though, that normally you're only hearing a few watts coming from any speaker - so even splitting 85W of amp power isn't a problem. It will drive the amp harder, though, but again, probably not an issue.

The multi-channel amps are mainly needed to handle multiple sources. You can always upgrade later if you find you need more flexibility.

You don't mention in your original post about how this is all wired now - are you retro-fitting the speakers? If you can place keypads/volume controls in the zone locations, by all means at least wire for it...

Jeff

·
Registered
190 Posts
The speaker selector is only going to allow 2 channels of amplification in, so yes the Denon will work, but 5 of the amplified channels go unused. Because of the simplicity of the speaker selector, it will not allow any additional amplification.

Even though the speakers handle lots of power, they will probably do ok with the Denon. Basically the power gets halved 6 times, plus some additional insertion loss because of the impedance matching in the speaker selector.

Overall an OK solution if you only need one source through all zones and not super critical listening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, what would be the simplest / most cost-effective solution to (1) have more power running the 10 speakers inside and (2) be able to run different sources to the outside/inside speakers. thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
First off you will need a 2-zone receiver. As mentioned before you will use the main zone for the outdoor speakers. The second zone will require outboard amplification so you will have two choices: First use a good power amp like the Integra ADM 2.1 or similar with impedance matching (ATON or other speaker selector.) Second option is to use a 12 Channel amplifier like Episode E-1230-A or Niles SI-1230 so each inside speaker has it's very own amplifier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts