AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to pick it up earlier today at BB while looking at the HD-DVDs and thought I would watch it after the football games. Gosh, this has to be a 0 or 1 tier for the stunning transfer. The outdoor scenes were clean and almost 3d. The jungle pigmey scene was also very rich and 3d looking. The red in the uniformed guys looked beautiful and gave great contrast to the scenes. As for audio quality, again, you won't be disappointed here with the DD plus. $24.99 at BB minus $5.00 reward zone gc made it a great purchase for $19.99 In my opinion, it looked much better and sounder better than the first Mummy previously released in HD DVD.

Mr Ian B

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice to hear about the PQ. I really enjoyed this movie when it was first released, and found it to be superior to the first movie. Time hasn't been kind to this movie for me though, and I find myself preferring the first over the sequel. Still, I don't outright hate this movie, so I may have to add it to my collection! I may as well get the first movie along with it, and The Scorpion King as well, if only because I keep hearing what an excellent transfer it is.

One thing I know without having to ask... no amount of HD quality will make the CGI in the final fight with the Scorpion King at the end of The Mummy Returns look any better.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I need to watch this and the first one back to back-been years since I've seen both. I picked this up today at Best Buy as well. Nice to see them getting some new HD-DVD in again. A cursory scanning of their rack suggested they were pretty up to date except for not having Breakfast Club or Deer Hunter.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Nice to hear about the PQ. I really enjoyed this movie when it was first released, and found it to be superior to the first movie. Time hasn't been kind to this movie for me though, and I find myself preferring the first over the sequel. Still, I don't outright hate this movie,

I had the same experience. On first viewing, I loved it, but the plotholes and bad CGI become much more noticable on multiple viewings. Still, I'll probably be buying this one because it is entertaining.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Damnit, my local BB are still not carrying new releases, getting really old. I love instant gratification of buying a movie and being able to see it in the same day, rather then waiting for it to ship.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Completely agree here. I'd give it a 4.5/5 (same with the audio.. equally stunning).

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff /forum/post/0

I had the same experience. On first viewing, I loved it, but the plotholes and bad CGI become much more noticable on multiple viewings. Still, I'll probably be buying this one because it is entertaining.

Not me. Even on the first viewing, my first impression of the CGI Scorpion King was "after all that decent CGI, THIS is the big bad villain they animated??" but other than that, I still don't mind most of the other CGI in the movie. Still, compared to the first, it is too full-blown with the CGI. This is not much different from what they did with the Star Wars prequels (especially Episode I).

At least The Scorpion King movie didn't have nearly as much obvious CGI as MR. In that way it feels closer to the first Mummy film.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Same thing with me. I thought it was infinitely superior to the first one when I saw it in theaters, but after watching it over a million times, I love it, but think the first one is better. Still, I cannot wait for the third movie to come out this year. That is going to rock.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauthum /forum/post/0

I loved all three. Already have and loved the PQ and AQ of the other two, can't wait to pick this one up.

My only issue with The Scorpion King movie is that they never really made it feel connected to the beginning of Mummy Returns. It almost feels as if there is a whole other movie that happens between the end of one movie and the beginning of the other. How does he go from the hero in one movie to the conqueror who is defeated at the beginning of the other movie, and turns evil to finally win?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca /forum/post/0

Damnit, my local BB are still not carrying new releases, getting really old. I love instant gratification of buying a movie and being able to see it in the same day, rather then waiting for it to ship.

i didn't think this movie was even release yet. i think some stores just accidentally put out the copies they got in. nobody in my area will put it on display or take it from out back and sell it yet.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
man ive been trying to find these at best buys by me including scorpion king and the mummy almost all the new releases and nothing, same with the blu ray section if it wasnt for the store in signal hill doubling the hd-dvd section and blu ray section i would think they where gonna drop both formats

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_riginal /forum/post/0

My only issue with The Scorpion King movie is that they never really made it feel connected to the beginning of Mummy Returns. It almost feels as if there is a whole other movie that happens between the end of one movie and the beginning of the other. How does he go from the hero in one movie to the conqueror who is defeated at the beginning of the other movie, and turns evil to finally win?

My issue with Scorpion King was that it dragged on without giving a plot to go with the action. Oh, and the acting was terrible. The other issues I have are exactly what you stated about it not being connected to Returns, which is what I thought the point of the TSK was.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I haven't seen this since its theatrical release. My copy shipped from Amazon, so I am looking forward to seeing it again this week. Glad to hear it looks good! The Muumy looked great to me, as did Scorpion King (which I saw for the first time on HD DVD, since I didn't consider it part of a trilogy and skipped it in theaters and on earlier video releases).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain /forum/post/0

My issue with Scorpion King was that it dragged on without giving a plot to go with the action. Oh, and the acting was terrible. The other issues I have are exactly what you stated about it not being connected to Returns, which is what I thought the point of the TSK was.

Exactly! I loved the Mummy and Mummy Returns and was looking for something at least connected to those two movies when I bought Scorpion King. Although the movie was mildly enjoyable I was most disappointed by the fact that it had virtually nothing to do at all and not even subtle references to the Mummy movies.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules /forum/post/0

Exactly! I loved the Mummy and Mummy Returns and was looking for something at least connected to those two movies when I bought Scorpion King. Although the movie was mildly enjoyable I was most disappointed by the fact that it had virtually nothing to do at all and not even subtle references to the Mummy movies.

The closest it gets to connecting with The Mummy Returns is at the end, when Kelly Hu's character gives a bit of advice about "not letting power corrupt you," or something along those lines. I would have preferred the movie to be about his rise to power, and from there lead up to his failure at conquering the world, as seen at the beginning of MR.

On its own though, it is enjoyable as a Conan-substitute at least.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.