AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In an article in today's New York Times, it says that if Murdoch acquires Hughes he intends to mount an assault on cable TV and expand DirecTV's subscriber base to 20 million by significantly lowering DirecTV prices and heavily promoting DirecTV on Fox stations.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow . . . The US supplying advanced arms to Taiwan, Murdoch buying DirecTV and expanding its penetration . . . anyone see "Tomorrow Never Dies"? ;-)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis:
It gets stranger. Microsoft is willing to toss in $3 billion to help the sale in exchange for all manner of non-HD rights.
Ah yes . . . "the latest version of your software has been shipped to customers . . . full of bugs as you requested." ;-) Just combine Murdoch and Gates to create the villian from "Tomorrow Never Dies". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
572 Posts
LOL! Mr. Murgates I presume? They aren't bugs, they're features waiting to be experienced.

Dish is looking better every day.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I am currently reading this on WindowsXP Beta and can tell you that even though MS has had bugs, this version for a beta is bug free and installed without a glitch. For a beta that is excellent. When the final version comes out I'm sure they will throw a couple of bugs into the OS http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif But if not this is the OS that will probably change the PC for the better.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
this is the OS that will probably change the PC for the better
Far be it from me to pee in your cornflakes http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif , but Microsoft has been claiming that since Windows 95 came out six years ago! Each time Redmond rolls out a new O/S, they claim it will be more stable and easier to use than its predecessor, will make your computing experience more productive and enjoyable, and will freshen your breath and make you a better performer in bed.

(OK, I made up that bit about fresh breath.)

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Scott Gammans

Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
, this version for a beta is bug free and installed without a glitch.
This statement makes me think you are a bit to naive. There isn't a OS that has ever been produced that is "Bug Free"! Because the OS installs without a hitch does not make it bug free by any means. I'm sure a quick view of the latest beta reviewers bug reports will reveal a still large amount of bugs that still exists!

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
The OS installed without any glitches, hasn't crashed once yet, and is working with all the software that I have. There will never be a perfect OS or a bug free OS, but as far as Beta's go this is pretty solid(since I haven't run into any problems yet, which I can't say about any of MS's other finished OS's) So for a Beta OS it's pretty good.

MS's biggest problem was the kernel for 3,95,98,ME, since they have moved to NT's kernel I'd say that will be the OS that changes the PC for the better. Now it won't be perfect, but it will be a hell of a lot better then what they have now. I am in no way a MS worshipper but this Beta has been pretty good so far. Beleive me I would trash it if it sucked.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Back on topic, I'll bet cheaper means "no HDTV".

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
Back on topic, I'll bet cheaper means "no HDTV".
That's exactly what I was thinking. Look at Fox's HD track record and it's not a pretty picture (pun intended).

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Who knows maybe they'll try to grab some business from Dish and add showtime. I don't think they'll take away HBO-HD(hopefully they don't start charging for it or showtime(if they add it). It's not like they have much more to add outside of PPV.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

"NEW YORK, May 2 (Reuters) - EchoStar Communications Corp. (DISH), the No. 2 U.S. satellite television provider, could be laying the groundwork for a counter bid for its larger archrival DirecTV, a bid that would compete with Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (NWS), SG Cowen said in a research report this week."

The first word of a DISH bid started in March. Trouble with this is a sudden lack of competition. Sure quality may go up by combining the two compainies but they would lack any reason to keep prices down....

·
Registered
936 Posts

The competition for DBS is really cable. Most customers don't care who provides their video services if the quality/convience/price model is correct. IMO, if the DBS folks DON'T combine, the cable folks will eat them. Cable has some inherent bandwidth advantages. Additionally, there is some new technology that increases their advantage here even more. Given their pervious history of brain dead service, it might not mater though. The attached URL talks about a 40 mbit connection. Additionally, DSL can deliver upto 50 mbits (1/4 mile cells) if properly designed. Interesting times....

http://lw.pennwellnet.com/Articles/A...TICLE_ID=98936

Mike

·
Registered
572 Posts
This from another Reuters story today.

"...But that, of course, isn't the reason Murdoch is doing the deal. Rather, he's hoping to take BSkyB's

successful experience upgrading its customers to a digital service, and translate that model to the U.S.,

which is far behind in embracing interactive TV. In the U.K., BSkyB enables its users to do everything

from e-mail to choosing the angles from which they want to watch soccer matches, to on-screen pizza

ordering -- this last a surprisingly popular feature. "

This could eat up a lot of bandwidth. Full story here:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/in/2001...to_have_1.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.