AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,179 Posts
I really fear that any chance of Directv being an 'innovator', (their words, not mine), re: HDTV programming is now completely lost with this purchase. Murdoch/Fox have a reputation as being 'anti-HDTV'. As witness, see the fact that Fox stations are still only broadcasting in 480p; not true HD at all.

It seems to me that the only way for Directv to remain viable would be for it to once again deliver the best quality broadcasting available, both HD and NTSC. Unfortunately, Murdoch's minions will only want to broadcast as many channels as they can, and to hell with the quality. Once the major cable companies gear-up to offer HDTV in all of their systems; Directv/Dish are dead except in the very rural areas.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Yep, this is likely a bad, bad thing. And I'm sure there were no political shenanegans going on between Murdoch (#1 Republican $ donator) and Washington. I'm not a real conspiracy guy and I'm not convinced that all that much more favoritism is going on now than in the past, but damn they don't even seem to try and hide it at this point. Echostar tried for years to get directv for 30billion but murdoch walks in and walks away with it for 6billion. Yes I'm simplifiying here but that's what it really boils down to.

-Trouble

· Registered
3,161 Posts
It's official, he has it: From HDTV Mag today:

It's official.Rupert Murdoch now owns 19.9 per cent--a controlling interest in DirecTV. For $6.6 billion he fulfills another step in his long-standing ambition to girdle the globe with Fox programming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.