AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I want to stream my music stored on my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits) to the Cambridge Audio Sonata NP30 which is connected to an amplifier.

The requirements are:

• Stream using my home wireless network
  • Possibility to search by the exact folders that i have on my pc
  • Control (play, pause, stop, next/previous track, search) using my pc instead having to do this always with the Sonata remote (if it's possible, of course)
  • Having an app for android to use like a remote control of the software

Now, here are the servers that i've tried:

Homestream from Sony - it doesn't have an option to control (is just a server) and i'm always facing 1 problem: Many times my Sonata doesn't find the Homestream and even if i close it (on the tray or even on the windows task manager) and restart it, still doesn't find. I have to restart my pc.

Subsonic - For what i understood, this option is paid. Am i right? (the trial period ended but i've been busy and didn't had the time to try it)

Asset UPnP (Illustrate) - Paid. I tried the trial version but if i'm correct, i can't search (list, not by typing) my "custom" folders (i have on folder called "Music", then sub-folders depending on the genre of music and finally by artist)

XBMC Gotham - Till now i couldn't make it work properly for this and when i choose to listen to music, it freezes a little. I only use it to see movies.

I also saw some website talking about Plex but i'm not sure if this works like i want.

Sorry for the testament but i really need your help.

What do you advice? If is something paid, i don't want to spend more than 20€ (15.95£; 23.37$).

Many, many thanks!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Windows Media Player ?

It should do all of that. If you dont like WMP12 try MonkeyMedia is has a DLNA Play To component and is music focused sort of like iTunes.

With a (music) DLNA server like Asset or MiniM your better off having a tablet acting as controller browsing/searching and pushing media to DLNA players, BubbleUPnP is one of the best controllers and it is Android only. However the DLNA server must support search function, if server does not you might be able to install the BubbleUPnP companion server that can fix some issue with DLNA servers.

Foobar2000 music player also has a UPnP/DLNA play to plugin but you have to manually install it and set it up.

If the NP30 supports Apple Airplay you can use Airfoil to Airplay the audio from any PC/Mac music player.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi
First of all, i want to thank you very much for spending a little of your time to help me!

WMP? No, i would like more something lighter. What i want is a software focused on streaming music wirelessly to Sonata. About the control, yes i can use BubbleUPnP On my Android (I don't have mac) but never tried it on windows.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi XIKO645,

Certainly good advice from Alx330. Definitely give the free excellent MinimServer a go, if Asset UPnP still gives you problems searching your music category folders. MinimServer does support UPnP searches, so will work with the BubbleUPnP controller app's search function. MinimServer is available here:
http://minimserver.com/features.html

About the control, yes i can use BubbleUPnP On my Android (I don't have mac) but never tried it on windows.
I believe Alx330 was talking about the BubbleUPnP Server software, which can fix some UPnP/DLNA device problems and also provides enhancements for them. It isn't a computer version of the BubbleUPnP Android controller app, unfortunately, though it is produced by the same developer. More info can be found at the BubbleUPnP Server site:
http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/

A UPnP controller you could also try for Windows, apart from those mentioned by Alx330, is Kinsky, but it works best if you use the BubbleUPnP Server, mentioned above, to turn your NP30 into an OpenHome renderer. See:
http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/Kinsky

BTW, there is a way of getting the BubbleUPnP controller app working on Windows, if you can install the BlueStacks Android emulator on it, but it can be a bit involved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts