AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a Onyko TR-NX709 that was a hand-me-down from my brother and am going to be setting up speakers on it for music mainly for now.

May go to 5.1 Eventually but will be music for a while at least.

So far I have decided on:

Front L&R: Ascend CMT-340 SE

Sub: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer

But right now the only way to get audio from my PC that I have is either optical or 2.5mm to RCA jack from the built in soundcard on the motherboard.

Would I see a benefit from a dedicated USB DAC? And if so are there any good ones around for about $100?

I was looking at the PupDac kits from Beezar and they seem to be decent.

Either that or order my own parts and do something similar to JEDAC which has a better quality OpAmp. And modify the board for 1 RCA out with higher quality jacks

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper  /t/1523570/music-from-pc-to-receiver#post_24510357

Ok I have a Onyko TR-NX709 that was a hand-me-down from my brother and am going to be setting up speakers on it for music mainly for now.

May go to 5.1 Eventually but will be music for a while at least.

So far I have decided on:

Front L&R: Ascend CMT-340 SE

Sub: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer

But right now the only way to get audio from my PC that I have is either optical or 2.5mm to RCA jack from the built in soundcard on the motherboard.

The optical link seems like the way to go.
Quote:
Would I see a benefit from a dedicated USB DAC?

Unlikely if the Onkyo is still in good operating order. Generally the parts of the AVR we have been talking about are highly reliable and if they fail, they fail totally.

Higher end Onkyo AVRs typically have very good DACs and audio ICs in them.

Adding yet another DAC to this system might be your opportunity to buy more copies of chips that you either already have, or already have better chips in your system.

That all said, chasing better sound quality in op amps and DACs is generally like chasing your tail. Think transducers and room acoustics - that is where most people find the biggest gains. Your transducer stable seems to be pretty good. Next: The listening room.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper  /t/1523570/music-from-pc-to-receiver#post_24510357

The Onkyo TX-NR709 supports network file streaming over UPnP/DLNA, so there's an alternative way of getting audio from your PC to the AVR, assuming you have a home network and can connect the PC & AVR to it. UPnP/DLNA also gives you the option to control the playback either from the PC, or from the AVR itself or even from a handheld device such as a smart phone or tablet/pad, using decent free or v. cheap (few $) software.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
^^^

+1 to what Cebolla suggested. I also have a network-enabled receiver that supports audio streaming (a Denon), and use an app on my tablet to play music stored on my PC. I've started converting all my CDs to FLAC. There were a few challenges to get all the different components to work together, but with most of the bugs worked out, I love how simple and seamless the system works now.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
What they all said about network streaming and/or optical connection

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That's a pretty nice receiver that is still among the better made ones. I'd agree with the above. Adding anything else you could buy in the 100.00 range is not going to give you any decided performance advantages over what's likely already inside the receiver itself. That's a good rig to grow with.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest that you look at the Outlaw 2150 receiver, which has plenty of power, good sound quality, a USB input to connect to your computer, preouts to go to subwoofers, a phono stage, a built-in equalizer,

and a bunch of other very cool features.

It goes for $699.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523570/music-from-pc-to-receiver#post_24527159

I suggest that you look at the Outlaw 2150 receiver, which has plenty of power, good sound quality, a USB input to connect to your computer, preouts to go to subwoofers, a phono stage, a built-in equalizer,

It goes for $699.

He already has a receiver with plenty of features to support his needs. Why would he want to buy another one? LOL

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1523570/music-from-pc-to-receiver#post_24527198

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523570/music-from-pc-to-receiver#post_24527159

It goes for $699.
He already has a receiver with plenty of features to support his needs. Why would he want to buy another one? LOL
My question as well especially since he got it for free, and he said he plans to use is as 5.1 in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts