AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a HT receiver in the $500 range, and have been reading as much as I can from this forum (great stuff guys!).

I've read the almost universally glowing reviews of the Outlaw (discrete amp design, etc.) and the almost universally glowing reviews of the Onkyo (full sound, features, component switching). But not too many people talk much about how well they sound for music as well as HT.

That been said, my music is CDs through an older CD player, my speakers are bookshelf (but chosen for their sound & excellent reviews), and my ear is not very trained.

Any opinions on:

- comparisons of sound for CDs

- feature comparisons

- other receivers in this range which are "better"

Other equipment: midrange DVD, DirectTivo, SVHS, Panasonic ht-ae300 / pt-L300u, 36" JVC toob.

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Personally, at $500, I would go with a Sony DA2ES, or better yet, shell out an extra $100 for the DA4ES. Both of these have parametric style EQ that lets you adjust your speakers channel specific. They all have a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the Outlaw at $499 is a great choice. The H/K 325 is also a great sounding receiver for both two-channel and HT. And you might even be able to find the H/K 525 for around $500 if you are comfortable getting a refurbished unit (still carries the H/K warranty).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.