AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get this so maybe some one can help me out. I used to listen to music in nothing but surround, but lately I can't stand it anymore. I have been playing around with just 2ch & AFD or rather 2ch with my subs on.

I have found that in 2ch there is much more detail in everything, the sound field seams to be better/wider & just much more pleasing to the ear. I'm really beginning to think that the only thing I liked about using surround with music was just overall volume. But In just 2ch I can get almost as much to maybe even more volume with the benefit of more detail overall. I just always figured that why waste the other channels if they were there.

What I don't understand is how could I have not noticed this before now. Is it just something with age? I have some hearing problems (constant high ringing) & some noises drive me just nuts. I find the TV annoying as hell half the time & find myself turning it up & down all the time.I can't fall asleep half the time from the constant noise I hear. Though I blame myself for most of it as I have been around quite alot of things that can damage you're hearing & never wore hearing protection. Things like loud air tools,race cars,gas turbine engines, factory work, & well um loud music.

But really beside the point I'm beginning to see why there are so many die hard 2ch people out there. It simply just sounds better, well with the exception of SACD, & DVDA.

Anyway I really don't understand what my sudden change is really about. Have any of you other avid 2ch fans been down the same path? I'm in a half drunken stooper so I probley don't make much sense but I thought I'd ask anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you mentioned gas turbine engines, ears ringing, and age, you caught my attention!!(If I take my heart medication as I'm supposed to, I have the ringing also-so, since life without fun ain't worth it, the meds normally get cut by half and I can hear again!!)

Usually, when listening to music only, I listen in 2ch with the sub turned on but hardly noticable, and the eyes shut off. I agree, I also find that the soundstage suffers with the surrounds engaged.

My real weakness though(and don't let my Doctor find out, shhhhh....)is when we know that we are getting a new action DVD on a set date. Then I'll skip my medication for up to four days just to be sure of hearing everything!!(of course the elevated sound levels will often bring on a renewed case of the ringing all by itself!

But yeah, two channel for tunes!!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm a young guy, and I like to think my hearing is still great. I love loud music, but only if the sound quality is not degraded because of SPL. If I'm cooking, browsing the internet, have friends over, etc I usually have 7 channel stereo on (probably 70% of the time). If I'm not up and about, its always 2 channel with a little LFE. I have my RF7s (rear ported) very far from the walls (~3.5 feet) so I sacrifice their bass response for extra clarity, which is why I use the subs with them.

You just cannot beat 2 channel ... dispersion, sound field, transients, etc are all much better than multichannel ... I always find myself hearing things I've never heard when I sit and critical listen, especially with music likes Michael Jackson's

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I have migrated back to the 2 channel only for music camp.

When playing with 7.1 Dolby PIIx, then switching to 2 channel and having the soundfield "collapse" to the front, I would usually switch the PIIx back on. But then I started comparing what the two experiences were like.

Now, don't get me wrong: Dolby PIIx does an amazing job of taking 2 channels and spreading them to 7. At times, the effect can be very pleasing. But it is definitely not the same as a true SACD or DVD-A multichannel recording.

So, for 2 channel these days, I am using just the Klipsch mains with the dual SVS subs. In my opinion, it is just more realistic sounding.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Count me in as a 2.1 fan for music. Occassionally 7 channel stereo for fun, but usually back to 2.1

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Petergaryr, You pretty much nailed what I was trying to get out. If I'm setting in the sweet spot in my room & switch from surround (normally DTS Neo6) to 2 ch & I hear things shift to the front it just all sounds more real.

I've actley found some CD's to be more enveloping in just 2ch, & though that the surrounds were on with some music even though they weren't. Things like The Rolling Stones, & Eagles are just a whole new experience again going back to 2ch.

F107plus5, I'm not on any kind of meds that could be the problem, but this problem did seam to start during a period that I was taking Zyban (I don't think thats spelled right) to try to stop smoking. I would get the worst pounding in my head & bad ringing in my ears wile I was on it. There was some days that just someone talking would drive me nuts .

I'm sure I've got heart meds to look foward to though sooner or later, heart problems run mad in my fathers side of the family, & than dieabeaties in my moms side.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Over the last year, I set-up a seperate 2CH system with a few cast offs from my MC rig, augmented with a few new purchases. I could not be happier with the sound of the 2CH system.

While I had played around with PLII as well as NAD's EARS MC mode, I find that I much prefer 2CH recordings played back on a properly set-up 2CH rig.

I still enjoy the MC DVD-A and SACD's played back on the MC system, but for 2CH stuff, I like it best with my 2CH system.

Brian

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm a young guy, and I like to think my hearing is still great. I love loud music, but only if the sound quality is not degraded because of SPL. If I'm cooking, browsing the internet, have friends over, etc I usually have 7 channel stereo on (probably 70% of the time). If I'm not up and about, its always 2 channel with a little LFE. I have my RF7s (rear ported) very far from the walls (~3.5 feet) so I sacrifice their bass response for extra clarity, which is why I use the subs with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch
You just cannot beat 2 channel ... dispersion, sound field, transients, etc are all much better than multichannel ... I always find myself hearing things I've never heard when I sit and critical listen, especially with music likes Michael Jackson's
im sure not too many people would disagree that the best way to listen to music is 2 ch. Personally i think the reason is that most set ups have the best speakers set up as mains (usually full range speakers) which produces the best soundstaging compared to the music spread out through your surround( usually bookshelves) units. If you like michael jackson's redbook cd I think you should try his "thriller" album in SACD...lots of detail.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I have a yamaha receiver that duplicates the accoustic reflections of various venues. They range from subtle (bottom line jazz club) to ridiculous (large cathedral) I sometimes use the subtle modes for concert videos but never for music. I tried it a few times but felt distracted more than anything.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpcasso
im sure not too many people would disagree that the best way to listen to music is 2 ch. Personally i think the reason is that most set ups have the best speakers set up as mains (usually full range speakers) which produces the best soundstaging compared to the music spread out through your surround( usually bookshelves) units.
I'm not so sure it's so much of that, but rather, I think of it like, if I was to attend a small venue concert, the performer would be up front and center, with the band, etc behind him/her spread across the stage. I think 2 speakers and the sub do this better than 5.1

I think the 5.1/i.e. surround sound has a different intent which is to put you in the middle of the movie, so I think that's what it's appropriate for.

Mind you, this is just my opinion, and others may not agree.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman
I'm not so sure it's so much of that, but rather, I think of it like, if I was to attend a small venue concert, the performer would be up front and center, with the band, etc behind him/her spread across the stage. I think 2 speakers and the sub do this better than 5.1

I think the 5.1/i.e. surround sound has a different intent which is to put you in the middle of the movie, so I think that's what it's appropriate for.

Mind you, this is just my opinion, and others may not agree.
I think we are in agreement then...

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the last year or so (pushing 30 years old in June), I've started going back to strictly 2ch for music. In the past, I often used the "6 Channel Stereo" mode on our Yamaha, but much of that was with with friends over and spread around the room, or wondering about the house doing chores. I also had Boston Acoustics HD8 bookshelf speakers for mains, which greatly lacked midrange with poor imaging. We never had a center before, and as movies were a higher priority and due to budget, we bought just a center. With that, 6ch stereo offered more detail, particularly vocals. Now, with new Paradigm Monitor 7 towers, everything music wise is strictly 2 channel with sub and no DSP. I agree that is certainly seems more appropriate (band up front).

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm excited to see what happens when I go separates here after the first of the year. For all the raving I have heard about separates & my new found preference for 2ch I think it will be a nice change for the better ;)

I was thinking about upgrading all my speakers for awhile, but I'm going to go with some more power first & see what happens. I'm currently using all Polk RT55i's all the way around with a CS400i center. My subs are 4 15" dayton DVC's in a twin manifold IB. All my speakers are now powered through my Sony DA5-ES with the sub being powered off a single Dayton 250 watt plate amp. I'm planning on running everything off of 4 Crown XLS 402's or 3 402's with one 602 to power the center & subs I haven't completely made up my mind yet. But none the less I will be going with separates & the Crowns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.