AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in converting one of my old PC's into a music jukebox using a large library of MP3's I've accumulated. I would like to pipe its display onto a channel in my house via a video distribution system, and I'd like to control it via an IR based remote (I have an IR repeating system also). This would connect in as one of the sources on a whole-house audio system.

I have the hardware parts all in place already, but I'm trying to figure out what the best player program would be. Specifically, it should:
  1. Display a nice interface at TV resolution. That is, big buttons and text readable from across the room, 640x480 full screen display. Hopefully this would be a nice interface w/o requiring me to do a lot of customization (customizability is good, but I appreciate a good out-of-the-box look).
  2. Be suitable for remote control. This would probably mean it would support bunches of configurable hotkeys for functions, and then I would use Girder to map the IR remote functions to hotkeys.
  3. Have an uncluttered simple interface to do the basic functions (transport, "now playing" status with cover art, selection of media or playlists). More complex functions (playlist creation, library management, etc) can be done separately via a more computer-like traditional interface.
  4. Support all the traditional media player functions like download of cover art/track names, categorization, etc.[/list=1]

Basically, I'm trying to make a computer into an MP3 jukebox AV component. This means it should have an interface more like a Tivo or DSS receiver than a Windows PC. Media Jukebox looks very promising, although a bit computer-oriented. Are there alternatives worth looking at? Thanks for any pointers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi danjb,

You have a few options that come to mind:

1. 4am Music Console

2. Media Jukebox (using Glissando, or the Hairstyle display)

3. Ape Jukebox

4am Music Console is the software I'm developing, as such I don't think it's my place to comment on any of the software, since anything I say would be biased... I'll just leave the list as something for you check out.

Cheers,

Bhavin

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My vote goes to Glissando sitting on top of Media Jukebox (now Media Centre) mainly due to the simplicity of glissando and the power of MC... Between the 2 its a perfect match for what you are doing...

Secondary reccomendation would be 4AM music console... Great look... Less database power...

I am swayed by using APE lossless files that are supported in MC but not in WMP9... Also Glissando can be run on remote PC's to control a server that outputs the sound.. .This is good for my setup with many clients all with Glissando live updated on all the screens (wireless touchpads and a hacked Virgin WebPlayer)...

·
Registered
33 Posts
This might be just what your looking for:

I was surfing yesterday and hit one of those annoying X-10 popup ads.

At any rate I decided to check out their new stuff while I was there, and they have this new product called Lola. It's essentially a music jukebox software/shell optimized for TV viewing and comes with a nice looking RF/IR universal remote and RF USB receiver (which alone seems worth the $49.95 introductory cost). Anyway it looks interesting and wondered if anyone has tried one yet?

~Zarcov

PS: the direct link to the Lola page is
http://www.x10.com/products/lola_sg1.htm

·
Registered
149 Posts
myHTPC does a great job cataloging and displaying your music collection (http:\\\\ www.myhtpc.net ).

It also can handle video, DVDs, an electronic program guide, television tuning, even video games.

It's a very nice piece of software, and is getting better rapidly.

Andrew

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
...I was surfing yesterday and hit one of those annoying X-10 popup ads.

At any rate I decided to check out their new stuff while I was there, and they have this new product called Lola....
Actually, seeing a discussion about Lola on the HomeSeer board is what triggered my question!! Lola looks pretty nice, very close to what I want, except I don't need any of the hardware it packages (like the RF remote), and my past experience w/X10 software has not been great...

BTW, anybody else find X10's suggestive wording in their ads stupid and annoying??? #6 on their Lola page in the top ten reasons is "...The more music you have, the more Lola puts out..." I'm not a prude, but its annoying how little this kind of wording has to do with their product. Oh well, I guess that's the case with most advertising...

Where do I get info about Glissando? I couldn't find it listed in the Media Jukebox plugins or skins list... I found this post referring to a version from over seven months ago downloadable. Has it not had any updates since then?

·
Registered
435 Posts
There are a few other products you might also want to look at:

1) Muzik Browzer

2) eJukebox

3) DigiCasa EZ Player (full disclosure: I'm the developer of this product).

Just throwing a few other products that fit your criteria into the mix for you to investigate.

Search this forum or Google for details on the above.

Cheers

Lester

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Just search for glissando posts by da5id and you will see a download link in his sig...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.