AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been researching for a few weeks and decided to finally post a few ?s. My main concern is finding the proper sound system to match my musical/ht taste, apt size and budget. In terms of av setup, Im about to purchase a Panny 500U or the HP 50" plasma. My receiver is an 18 mos old Harmon Kardon AVR 235. Im currently running 7 year old Klipsch bookshelves which are decent but Im ready for the full 5+1 upgrade. Ill also need new dvd cd players but I feel confident I can find those with a little research.

My budget for speakers is about $1,500-$2,000. My small NYC apt living room is roughly 12x16 with concrete walls, wood floors and 10' ceilings. My neighbors prevent me from playing music or ht too loud although I sometimes sneak in a shake-the-walls rocker. Im a music fan first and listen to funk, rock and roll and world music. I cant really talk-the-talk in terms of speaker technicalities but my ears tend to be pretty acoustically inclined (for a novice). I gravitate towards clean and defined midrange without muddy lows or metallic highs. I need to mount both my front, rear and center speakers due to space constraints.

Ive heard great things about the Ascends on these boards and was considering 2x 170's, 1x 340center, 2 200s for surround and the HSU VTF-2 MK2 for my sub.

With brackets and shipping that should run me around $1,500. Any input or comparable (or better?) systems I should consider? Should I wait for their new

SEs to come out?

Any input or advice with specifice model #s would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those are some good choices for speakers and sub that you mentioned. You can’t go wrong with that setup. Some people kick themselves in the derrière later for not waiting to get the newest equipment. So if you want to wait for the new SEs, that’s your prerogative, but I really think you won’t be disappointed if you go with the aforementioned setup in your post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any feedback on how the Ascend system will compare to this comparably priced Paradigm setup? I realize the Paradigm fronts are stand mounted but I may be willing to take this route if the performance is superior.

2x Focus (stand mounted) fronts, CC170 center, 2x ADP-170 rears and a PDR 10

Subwoofer - Cost $1700 w/tax

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.