AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to think Spring (hopefully someday it will come) and wanted to improve our music system outside. Right now we just use one of those small Logitech docking stations (like this:

Logitech S715i) but the sound isn't the greatest and they don't last more than a couple of years. What I would like to do is run speakers out to our deck (attached to the back of the house) and above ground pool/deck (about 50' from the house). Ideally I would like to run the speakers to a Denon AVR-1613 receiver we just bought but not sure how this would work. It is currently hooked up to the TV in the basement and wouldn't be used if the music was on outside. Any advice (such as how to hook it up, how the receiver could be controlled from outside etc) would be appreciated!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't have any personal experience running outdoor wiring but having read through countless posts on here and BYT, here is some information I've retained. Hopefully it at least gives you a direction to start and helps you ask the right questions.

A lot of receivers feature a multi-zone option (sometimes called Zone 2) or something similar. It basically allows you to run music to a second set (or zone) of speakers for use outdoors or in another area of the house. Check your manual for your receiver to see if it supports multi-zone audio. If it does, then simply run some wire to the speakers (more on that below) and maybe add an IR repeater somewhere outside to control volume if you're feeling ambitious. If the receiver does not support multi-zones, then you would need some sort of switch to control which speaker zones are currently active, similar (or more fancy than) this monoprice one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8230

As far as the wiring goes, you mentioned a pool area which begs the question of whether or not you are able to run your cable in-ground. If you have space to bury, you are in luck. A lot of outdoor theater builders have used simple low voltage lighting cable available at most big box hardware stores. For a 50' run, You'd probably want to look for 10 or 12 gauge if available and make sure it says "underground" or "direct-burial" on the label. You can use PVC pipe or flexible conduit if you'd like to be able to pull future wires or protect the cables from digging. Remember to mark the cable path and take pictures of where your run is before burying the cable so you can refer back to it if you have to dig up any part of the yard. Also, make sure to call the power/gas company before doing any digging to make sure you don't run your cables too close to a utility line, or dig into one!

I don't know as much about outdoor speakers, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that area.

Some other important questions:

Are you looking to do most of this DIY, or is contracting out a possibility?

What kind of budget do you have, and does the final quality of the setup matter?

What kind of climate is your house in, do you have seasons or is it pretty consistent throughout the year?

Have you ever done any sort of home wiring before?

Do you know what kind of source you will be using for music (iPod, PC, Sonos, etc.)?

How close is the receiver in the basement to the back of the house? Will you have to run wiring across the house to get outside?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately my receiver is a single zone so that Monoprice switch would be perfect. To answer your questions:

This will be a diy and I have wired my basement when we were finishing it with the help of my father.

This is low-budget (just looking for something basic that sounds decent.....better than the docking stations).

It is above ground pool so running wire will not be a problem.

We live near Chicago so the climate varies greatly.

The receiver is in the basement against the back wall of the house so it would be easy to run.

My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy phones. We also have an ipod and ipad.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since you're going DIY and low-budget it sounds like an online trip to Monoprice and maybe PartsExpress should get you most of the materials you need. You can probably get some of the indoor wiring done while you wait for this hellish winter to finally fade to spring. Since you live in an area where the climate changes so much, you might want to call a local electrician to see what the recommended burying depth for your wiring should be, and I would certainly go the direction of using some sort of conduit to prevent weather (and burrowing creatures!) from damaging your wiring.

Start with some basic outdoor speakers at first and see if you like the sound quality. At best, you may be satisfied and save yourself some money, at worst you can replace them and sell the old ones on CraigsList or eBay.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! After further research, I plan on hooking up the speakers to our Denon AVR1613 receiver located in our family room using a speaker selector switch. A couple of other questions:

1. What kind of speaker wire should i use outside? The wire will be buried in PVC pipe and will be approximately 75' away from the receiver at the furthest point.

2. Any suggestions on decent, budget outdoor speakers? I would imagine they would have to "regular, rectangular speakers" (not "rock" speakers) as both the back and pool decks are raised at least 3'.

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've not tried it myself, but a lot of other people like to use low-voltage landscaping wire (the kind used for path and patio lights). For such a long run, you'll want to use a fairly large gauge to reduce the resistance, like 12 gauge or larger (there are calculators online you can use to get a more accurate number).

As for speakers, I've been eying the selection on Monoprice for some time now. They get fairly positive reviews, and if I owned instead of rented, I probably would've tried out a pair by now. Since you are starting out on a budget, I'd go that route. If they work out for you, you've saved some cash and if they don't you can save up for a better pair down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple years ago I finally add my speakers outside with the receiver inside. I'm using a fairly old (probably 10 years+) Sony Receiver, the A speakers are inside the family room that the door to the deck is, then the outdoor speakers run off the B Speakers switch, using just two channel stereo for both. I'm using "Yamaha NS-AW150BL 2-Way Outdoor Speakers" ( http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW150BL-2-Way-Outdoor-Speakers/dp/B0001VGFKW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396272114&sr=8-5&keywords=yamaha+outdoor+speakers ) Speakers seem to work just fine for my use, which is mainly as background music for when people are over or just hanging out on the deck. Occasionally they are used as speakers for when I watch TV out there. I had a lot of landscape lighting wire laying around so that is what I used and I think the quality sounds like fine for me. I think I ended up with about 75 feet or so of wire to each speaker.

As for controlling the stereo from outside I normally just have the radio on and dont mess with it, or a music channel from FiOS on. You can get a Bluetooth Audio receiver to hook up to your receiver in the basement and then you could send audio from your phones to the bluetooth receiver and control your music that way. I havent used any of these devices, but I know several people that love them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put in a pair of TIC GS5 in ground speakers. They have speaker wires that are rated for in ground installation.

I ran standard speaker wire from the receiver inside to a box on the foundation wall. From there I routed the wire into PVC (buried in the ground) to another box near the speakers. I ran the in ground speaker wire into the box as well and tied them in.

It works great, and the speakers sound amazing for the price. They only stick out of the ground a few inches.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You might also want to get an IR sender / repeater so you could control the denon outside. They are fairly cheap and saves you from running in and out to adjust the receiver. I run my DVR and speakers to my deck from inside and it works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts