AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing references to different music formats. What is this all about? I am in search of CD recordings that are beautifully done. I typically listen to them in 5 channel stereo. Is this bad? I am looking for those recordings that have powerful detailed audio. It seems that many, MANY, recordings have the dreaded "hiss" background noise. I am not sure if this is from just poor studios or if it simply because they were done so long ago that the equipment used was inferior. Most recently I have found that Diana Krall's stuff seems to be done perfectly. Are there any other reccomendations? I like anything from Diana Krall to Metallica. I want to use this to show off my system to friends and for personal enjoyment. It seems that every time I show my system to friends they select a CD that is horrible. They are still impressed but I am not. Please give me some answers. I think I have finally grasped the intricacies of DVD but I am a complete newby to audio or CD. What should I look for?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I'm not a fan of 5 channel stereo, but High Fidelity (faithfulness to the original) has always been my goal. You really need to look into a DVD-A/SACD player. You can buy a universal player for around $100. Discrete multichannel high resolution audio will free your soul. ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms
I'm not a fan of 5 channel stereo, but High Fidelity (faithfulness to the original) has always been my goal. You really need to look into a DVD-A/SACD player. You can buy a universal player for around $100. Discrete multichannel high resolution audio will free your soul. ;)
So my DVD player (Denon 1815) won't cut it? What player would you recommend?

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by point_and_shoot
So my DVD player (Denon 1815) won't cut it?
Not for multichannel, high resolution SACD and DVD-A playback. If you want to do both of those formats, you need a "universal player".

What sort of music do you like, point n shoot? There are good recordings across every genre.

The last two Steely Dan albums, "Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go", are very well recorded and engineered. "Bill Frisell and the Intercontinentals" is a great reference disc. Pat Metheny's recent album "The Way Up" is, as usual, very well done.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by point_and_shoot
What player would you recommend?
Tell me about your display device.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Tell me about your display device.
I have a Hitachi Hi-Def 51F500

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
What sort of music do you like, point n shoot? There are good recordings across every genre.
Well, I like blues, jazz, heavy metal, industrial, Pan Flute, classical, ie: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Metallica-Van Halen, Ministry, "peter pan? lol", John Williams, and all in between. It just depends entirely on my mood. I even like a little traditional Christian. The only thing I am growing further and further away from is rap. Although it was somewhat influential in High School ( I am ashamed to say). I am 31 years old born in 1974. So take your pick. Some other not listed that I also like is: Sarah McCloughlan?, Enya, Ray Lynch, etc.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Denon DVD-1920 might be a good fit. It retails for $349. Plays everything, Faroudja decoding, HDMI 1.1 upconverting, good stuff! ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Denon DVD-1920 might be a good fit. It retails for $349. Plays everything, Faroudja decoding, HDMI 1.1 upconverting, good stuff! ;)
Cool. I will check into getting one. Might be a good Christmas suggestion : )

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Try the new Chicago at Carnegie Hall reissue...i'd love to see this set in DVD-A or Dualdisc at some point.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Some say its overrated, but my choice for audition disc is PinkFloyd DSOTM. Everyone I know is familiar with this classic and they're just in awe when they hear it in hi-rez surround.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Check out the thread I'm posting re John Hiatt.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It does not appear that you're into classical, but if you purchase/receive a universal player, you, and everyone else, must check out the surround sound SACD of tRequiem by Hector Berlioz. It was scored for an orchestra, chorus, four additional brass choruses (one in EACH CORNER) and, IIRC, eight asdditional bass drums & pair of tympani (again in in the corners).

The original surround sound score!

Play it nice and loud!

Oh, and make sure the sub's working.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I made the plunge a couple of years ago for an upsampling DAC & it seems to boost regular 16 bit cds to the point where I don't have to lissten to SA-CD if I don't want to.When I first got super audio I was spoiled with the sound.Now with the DAC I can get SACD sound with my collection of cds(except for the pure DSD recordings).If I want m/c hi-rez I just flip on one of my prologic devises on my pre-amp.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Keck
It does not appear that you're into classical, but if you purchase/receive a universal player, you, and everyone else, must check out the surround sound SACD of tRequiem by Hector Berlioz. It was scored for an orchestra, chorus, four additional brass choruses (one in EACH CORNER) and, IIRC, eight asdditional bass drums & pair of tympani (again in in the corners).

The original surround sound score!

Play it nice and loud!

Oh, and make sure the sub's working.
Would you be so kind to give a little bit more details about this SACD? Like Label; Orchestra; Conductor?

When I did the search 4 different SACD’s showed up (all Hector Berlioz: Requiem)

Thanks

:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (won a grammy for technical excellence. NO HISS and tremendous dynamic range)

Enjoy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.