AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old HTPC lying around that I was thinking of turning into a Music server. Is there a way to make a music server from an HTPC that doesn't require any video. Basically, I don't want to have to turn on my projector just to play music. I do have an VFD on the front of the case, and use a Pronto remote control.

Any ideas.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That would be tough with a pronto, easier with a ipaq handheld or tablet PC of some sort.

You could probably setup at least some predefined play lists that could be selected from the pronto.

I don't know much about the pronto but I do not think it allows for dynamic content (websites etc)

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
So just how old is that htpc? :D

This is even do-able under DOS 6.2, with MPXF and MPXPlay, with a SB AWE64 GOLD with RCA outs, and a two or four line character based vfd/lcd.... It works, and sounds, amazing.

And then there's route66 under linux.

http://www.anders.com/projects/route66/

You can get away with "antique" hardware (Pentium 100 and four megs of ram) if you limit the computer to being a playback device solely.

Or how about something like Mooneyass' "I love XLobby (touch screen pics)" thread that is likely buried in the archives by now. A wall mounted touchscreen lcd as the display. Worth the effort to find this thread.

And then there's people using Palm Pilot as remote/touch screen display.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
How many CDs do you have?

I have roughly 300 by about 100+ different artists in 10 different genres, and find that using a 2/4 line display sucks unless I know exactly what I want to listen to.

As I'm too ADD for that, I need to use either my IPAQ or the monitor to look through the list and decide what I want to listen to.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses and emails. I've got nearly 900 CDs with 400 of them already in a changer. I'd leave those 400 alone, but rip and organize the other 500 or so. While the ipaq or other handheld would be nice, I don't have the want or budget for one. The PC isn't that old. P4/1.5/512/100. The sound card has an optical out, which I'd like to use.

Today, I have my Pronto setup to list the albums by artist with an index screen for each letter. I choose an Album and the pronto sends the command to load the appropriate slot in the changer. Tracks are chosen by memory, which is easy for me to do, but my wife struggles with.

I'd like to continue the trend, but have the Pronto send the commands to load the album from the PC rather than the changer (well, actually both, depending on the album). Looks like MPXPlay might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
[J River Media Center] + [NetRemote] + [Dell Axim (or other PocketPC)] is a great setup for this kind of need.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Why don't you just use Remote Desktop Connection or something similar to access the music server from another PC? You don't need a display device on the music server with this sort of simple setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.