AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions:

1 - Can anyone tell me if there are any Music Video or Audio Only titles releasesd on BD ... and if so ... how well they were done?

2 - Does anyone have suggestions for Music Video Concerts released on BD? We are in the process of working on some for release this 4th quarter.

3 - We are currently looking at Stereo PCM and DTS-HD Master Audio for the Soundtracks with 32msbp to 34mbps AVC Video Encodes.

4 - Would there be an interest n Audio Only Titles with PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Lossless Surround Tracks?

5 - Would you want Tech Specs on the printed insert similar to what we diod for Nature's Journey and Chronos?

Your comments and input are appreciated.

Rich Casey

Executive Producer

R&B Films, Ltd.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms /forum/post/14336181

Questions:

1 - Can anyone tell me if there are any Music Video or Audio Only titles releasesd on BD ... and if so ... how well they were done?

There are quite a few and vary from poorly done to very well done. It is really a case-by-case basis.

Quote:
2 - Does anyone have suggestions for Music Video Concerts released on BD? We are in the process of working on some for release this 4th quarter.

How about some Roger Waters or Pink Floyd if Sony doesn't have that locked up? Some Doors concerts might also be nice. How about revisiting some of the old DTS CD multichannel masters?

Quote:
3 - We are currently looking at Stereo PCM and DTS-HD Master Audio for the Soundtracks with 32msbp to 34mbps AVC Video Encodes.

Sounds good though personally I prefer VC-1 since it has the same effective quality utput with less CPU usage on my computer. Though either that or AVC is fine, as long as its not MPEG2

Quote:
4 - Would there be an interest n Audio Only Titles with PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Lossless Surround Tracks?

These would sell better if they included a CD with them, especially if its only high resolution stereo. Multichannel audio-only would be cool, though I'd still like a CD for functionality/portability purposes. You can't put a Blu-ray music-only release on your iPod/Zune in lossless 16bit/44.1khz which is a big handicap IMO.

Quote:
5 - Would you want Tech Specs on the printed insert similar to what we diod for Nature's Journey and Chronos?

I don't find tech specs useful personally because I can find the data for myself easily if I am interested.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:

Stop Making Sense. Directed by Jonathan Demme. Shot on film. Should look and sound great.

·
Registered
599 Posts
One released last week , and one this week by Surround records is audio only Blu-ray (with still images i believe) DTS-HD MA 7.1, and some with 5.1.

So they are out there though few and far between.

I second the Talking Heads - "Stop Making Sense" Awesome even on the VHS copy that I have

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

I just sent my friends at DTS an e-mail. They closed down the label as I understand it so maybe there is a shot, albeit a long one, they will let me release some of thier catalog on BD. However, I would assume new licenses will be needed for BD so this is probably not going to happen. Good idea though..

Can't get the Roger Waters or Pink Floyd stuff...already tried.

We like the results we get with AVC so we will be sticking with that for now.

Including the CD complicated matters a great deal. Licensing and publishing issues arise in this scenario. I know this form experience as we did this with the Monster Music releases. Albeit, if I did this ... I would try to get the CD as part of the deal. It makes sense from a Sales / Marketing perspective.

Thanks again for you input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/14336312

There are quite a few and vary from poorly done to very well done. It is really a case-by-case basis.

How about some Roger Waters or Pink Floyd if Sony doesn't have that locked up? Some Doors concerts might also be nice. How about revisiting some of the old DTS CD multichannel masters?

Sounds good though personally I prefer VC-1 since it has the same effective quality utput with less CPU usage on my computer. Though either that or AVC is fine, as long as its not MPEG2

These would sell better if they included a CD with them, especially if its only high resolution stereo. Multichannel audio-only would be cool, though I'd still like a CD for functionality/portability purposes. You can't put a Blu-ray music-only release on your iPod/Zune in lossless 16bit/44.1khz which is a big handicap IMO.

I don't find tech specs useful personally because I can find the data for myself easily if I am interested.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't get the rights to most of the stuff you guys want...but if I could...I would release any of it in a heartbeat. You have very good taste in Music Video titles...

Currently, we are working on a few PBS / Soundstage titles such as Sheryl Crowe, Tom Petty, and Jewel. More to come.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is a link to a music-only BD:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1049142

I don't have that BD personally, but there is a link in that thread to a more thorough discussion of the disc.

On a side note, I don't know if you have creative license when it comes to content, but I'd really like to see (hear!) some surround mixes where ambiance (reverb, reflections, echoes, audience noise) are in the surround channels while the music is in the LF/C/RF.

An interactive option that would be nice is to have lyrics text.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms /forum/post/14336949

Including the CD complicated matters a great deal. Licensing and publishing issues arise in this scenario. I know this form experience as we did this with the Monster Music releases. Albeit, if I did this ... I would try to get the CD as part of the deal. It makes sense from a Sales / Marketing perspective.

If you can't get the CD, how about a DRM-free digital download copy of the album in MP3 format from a place like Amazon MP3? Or even from your own website in FLAC or other neutral lossless format. That would not exclude any portable player since there are three major DRM categories you must cover for portables if it there is a need for DRM'd media: iPod (Apple players), Zune (Microsoft players), and PlaysForSure or MP3 (all other players).

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

Quote:

Questions:

Rich Casey

Executive Producer

R&B Films, Ltd.

That sounds absolutely perfect and the way I would handle it if releasing a music title. As for music titles lots of concerts with video have been released. Image has released several and Sony BMG has also done a lot of well regarded music titles(David Gilmour, Shakira, etc) on Blu-ray. I do believe Nine Inch Nails released an audio only BD music release with 24 bit 96 kHz sound but this was a very expensive limited edition.

As for suggestions you said you're working with PBS. There are lots of great Austin City Limits shows that have never seen a home video release. I could name tons of artists that have done great shows on that program like the Pixies, John Fogerty, Coldplay, and so on.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:

Classic concert, its timeless.

Quote:

Not for me, A PS3 connected to a projector isnt the best playback device for music only BD, if I must fire up the projector I would like images with it.

Quote:

Tech specs doesnt really helps me decide if im going to buy a product or not, better spend the money on the cover. That can sometimes put me over the edge.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do recall "Austin City Limits" ... good idea and may even be possible for me to acquire. I will look in to this.

The other suggestions are great as well .... but too complicated to acquire for a small label like us. However, I like to hear the suggestions as it helps me understand what AVS Forum members are interested in and gives me a better idea regarding what might sell.

Glad you like the way we are approaching the product. The titles we are working on now will be distributed by Koch Entertainment.

We are also looking at a bone simple 4k Production for 4th Quarter that I will talk more about in a seperate thread. I am trying to use the NexCode or original Tiger AVC Encoder for this. It is easily the best quality video encoder I have seen. However, it is expensive to use. I am trying to figure out a way to get the cost down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger /forum/post/14339363

That sounds absolutely perfect and the way I would handle it if releasing a music title. As for music titles lots of concerts with video have been released. Image has released several and Sony BMG has also done a lot of well regarded music titles(David Gilmour, Shakira, etc) on Blu-ray. I do believe Nine Inch Nails released an audio only BD music release with 24 bit 96 kHz sound but this was a very expensive limited edition.

As for suggestions you said you're working with PBS. There are lots of great Austin City Limits shows that have never seen a home video release. I could name tons of artists that have done great shows on that program like the Pixies, John Fogerty, Coldplay, and so on.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice, if they were shot in HD. MTV is hard to deal with...not as difficult as Sony mind you...but difficult none the less.

I will look in to that but the rights may be messy and expensive to clear for Home Video. Music Video costs more per unit due to artist performance royalties, music publishing costs, master use royalties, etc. These would have to be at least $29.98 to make sense with the cost of BD Authoring and Replication being what it is.

Also, I need to make sure I can sell at least 20,000 units or it is not worth the time and effort. How many people would actually purchase a Music Concert of an artists they liked if it was done well ... high bit rate encodes ... lossles audio ... etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokeith /forum/post/14340593

How about MTV Unplugged performances?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms /forum/post/14341424

Also, I need to make sure I can sell at least 20,000 units or it is not worth the time and effort. How many people would actually purchase a Music Concert of an artists they liked if it was done well ... high bit rate encodes ... lossles audio ... etc?

Grab the latest Nielsen figures and check the John Mayer / Shakira / Dave Matthews / Nine Inch Nails sales.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's my wish list:

Phil Collins - Finally....The First Farewell Tour

Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Eric Clapton - One More Car One More Rider

Eagles - Live In Melbourne (in DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD)

Roger Waters - In The Flesh

Queen+Paul Rodgers - We Are The Champions (great audio/PQ sucks)

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
Taylor Hackford's Chuck Berry: Hail Hail Rock & Roll! rockumentary just released on DVD last year would make a really nice BD.

Stevie Ray Vaughan's Live! From Austin City Limits would probably be a decent seller. Any other blues and classic R&B would be greatly appreciated, because as of now there is none.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried that. Music Video / Concert Video is reported by SoundScan and they do not break out BD / DVD ... they lump it all together and there is no way to tell how much was sold of each format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert /forum/post/14341536

Grab the latest Nielsen figures and check the John Mayer / Shakira / Dave Matthews / Nine Inch Nails sales.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts