AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are good musical speakers for a budget of SGD$2-3K, or USD$1.4-2K equivalent?

I'm leaving the amp a little out of the equation for now because I haven't decided on AVR vs just getting a stereo amp. Kinda figured I will ask the dealers to test the speakers out on the same Denon 2310 amp if I can.

Some considerations for speakers now include Tannoys, KEF and Dali Ikon. Not sure if there are others I should be considering?

I listen to a variety of music, from Jazz to Josh Groban to Coldplay and I like my music mellow and well-defined.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. just tried the KEF. it didn't pack much of a punch with a NAD AVR. with the NAD stereo amp, it sounded a lot better, has more body and is more defined.

going to try out Dali tonight. only other brands I've found here in Singapore so far - Dynaudio, Monitor, Tannoy, B&W, Quad, Q Acoustics and these German brands, Heco and Elac.

heard of them?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Heard of all but the last two, but checked them out and all are worth a listen if you have the time. Try to check out Revel too. Come back here when your done and post your impressions. Once you have a feel for what you like, guys will be able to point you in the direction of similar sounding speakers.

Auditioning is fun, take your time

·
Registered
11,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18314260

Heard of all but the last two, but checked them out and all are worth a listen if you have the time. Try to check out Revel too. Come back here when your done and post your impressions. Once you have a feel for what you like, guys will be able to point you in the direction of similar sounding speakers.

Auditioning is fun, take your time

This.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just came from auditioning the Spendors - S4, S5, S6. that's just today. yesterday, I had KEF, Dali and the Hecos.

But, back to the Spendors. I always thought I liked the mellow sound but I had totally no affinity for S6, the mellowest of the lot - it sounded way too warm and muddled to me, because the lows sounded really "blunt" (don't have a better term) and the higher tones were not apparent.

S5 was a tad bit bright but more detailed - S4's tone would have been just nice but a tad bit muddled.

Would a more defined / detailed tone equate to brightness? The salesperson told me that S5 sounded "brighter" because the tweeter was larger, improved from the S4 in order to provide more detail.

Overall, for detail, I would prefer S5, but it could do better at louder volumes, which still sounded too loud to me. So far haven't found a speaker that gave me a controlled loud. Except strangely, maybe the KEF, which was to me, quite bright.

I wonder - I still haven't been able to find speakers that can do louder than low volumes well - i.e. without sounding loud and too much for the ears. My normal $20 audio-technica in-ear speakers seem to do better at "containing" the loud.

Maybe only the KEF - and that with the NAD stereo amp. but that was a little bright for my tastes.

is "good" sound something that takes getting used to?
you know, maybe it's been a case of eating MacDonalds all your life, and then suddenly being fed real food, real food doesn't match up because you're so used to eating Macs! or do I need to spend more than the US$2K I have budgeted for because anything less just doesn't meet my sound requirements?

anyway, much as I have talked about Tannoys, I still haven't been able to audition them because the DC6Ts are not in stock. I'm wondering how they will perform.....

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Have you auditioned the Tannoys yet? I look forward to your thoughts on those relative to some of the others on your list (I can find local dealers who can get them, but no stock to audition).

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you have auditioned the spendors... i would also give pmc a go. I would say some of the old proac's especially 1sc... i do not like most of the new proacs.

Pmc for me did the trick enough warmth and just the perfect amount of Detail/forwardness/brightness.

DB1i small bookshelf and TB2i a bit bigger...

Also note if you go to a different dealer you will have too many variables.. i.e different amp cd player etc etc. If pmc's are on display with bryston... i personally think that combo sounds horrible but the masses will disagree and say its perfect.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidesunny /forum/post/18312642

what are good musical speakers for a budget of SGD$2-3K, or USD$1.4-2K equivalent?

I'm leaving the amp a little out of the equation for now because I haven't decided on AVR vs just getting a stereo amp. Kinda figured I will ask the dealers to test the speakers out on the same Denon 2310 amp if I can.

Some considerations for speakers now include Tannoys, KEF and Dali Ikon. Not sure if there are others I should be considering?

I listen to a variety of music, from Jazz to Josh Groban to Coldplay and I like my music mellow and well-defined.

If you have a dealer that carries Triangle you should give them a listen. A french speaker that is much more highly regarded in Europe than here in the states but their speakers are superb with music. Very easy to drive and the mid-range is outstanding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda /forum/post/18320368

If you have auditioned the spendors... i would also give pmc a go. I would say some of the old proac's especially 1sc... i do not like most of the new proacs.

Pmc for me did the trick enough warmth and just the perfect amount of Detail/forwardness/brightness.

DB1i small bookshelf and TB2i a bit bigger...

Also note if you go to a different dealer you will have too many variables.. i.e different amp cd player etc etc. If pmc's are on display with bryston... i personally think that combo sounds horrible but the masses will disagree and say its perfect.

haven't located PMC or Proacs here in Singapore yet...found other non-mainstream sounding brands like Cabasse, Elac, Heco, Triangle, Avalon, FocalAudio, Paradigm (by mainstream, I was referring to the usual Tannoy, B&W, Monitor Audio, etc)

over here, unfortunately, different shops carry different brands - so basically, I am at the mercy of their speaker + amp combi.

The spendors today were paired with expensive Danson / Sugden amps - again, totally out of my budget but they didn't have cheaper amps that would meet my budget.

so hmm. maybe it would make more sense to just get an amp first and carry it around while testing speakers??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/18320337

Have you auditioned the Tannoys yet? I look forward to your thoughts on those relative to some of the others on your list (I can find local dealers who can get them, but no stock to audition).

no, not yet. the DC6Ts will come in only in April/May. I wonder if I can wait that long.

I've tried the DC4Ts with an iPod though. not going to give you a verdict on that since it was an iPod connected using an audio jack, not even a dock :p

will update when I do get to audition them though - if I wait that long

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidesunny /forum/post/18320405

...found other non-mainstream sounding brands like Cabasse, Elac, Heco, Triangle, Avalon, FocalAudio, Paradigm

You really owe it to yourself to listen to both Paradigm and Triangle.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/18320503

You really owe it to yourself to listen to both Paradigm and Triangle.

definitely. i auditioned a bunch of triangles when I got my focals and liked the focals a lot better--imaging seemed better and the sound stood out more for lack of a better term--the triangles just seemed very nondescript--comparatively the focals demanded my attention where the triangles seemed content to just have someone around to hear what they had to say. I have a hard time reading while listening to the focals sometimes because they suck you into the performance so much. That's what really sold me on them

have you heard the dalis? you might like their tweeter implementation better. definitely check out monitor and dynaduio out--i think you're starting to narrow down what you like and dont care for as much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
absolutely loved the dalis at low levels. they shrieked at higher volumes though. don't know if it was an amp thing - but they failed the mid-high volume test when paired with CA, Roksan and Denon....which was very unfortunate because they were the only ones that have really made an impression so far

so now it's back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Try the Paradigms out.

Very smooth and crisp. Some say they lean toward the brighter side, but it might be just what you are looking for because they have plenty of detail

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
actually, i've come to realize too. plenty detail comes with some level of brightness. i haven't quite found nice and mellow AND detailed

i just wish there could be some balance. usually, the highs are bright and detailed, or the bass is nice and deep....but many of the mid tones seem lost and muddled up

1 - 20 of 43 Posts