AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am ripping my CDs using MusicMatch Jukebox 8.0 at the maximum VBR, would I really notice a difference if I ripped the tracks using LAME or EAC?

I'm no audiophile, so I don't need perfection . . . but if I'm going to go to the trouble to rip the files, I would like to "do it right".

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
LAME's certainly got a pretty good reputation. My reaction (based on nothing in particular) is to start with LAME and go from there.

I ripped my CD library (400+ discs) using LAME (via CD-EX) at 192Kbps VBR.

Thought I was going overboard, seeing as how everyone seems content with 128Kbps.

After a year and a half, I'm slowing coming to the conclusion that given the price of media, I probably should have ripped at 256Kbps or higher, and I'm thinking seriously of doing so.

So, yeah, rip at as high a bitrate as you can afford. It will minimize the differences between the different codecs, and it's not like storage space is getting more expensive with time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have about 500 discs I am now in the process of backing up using Monkeys Audio lossless compression. Using the "HIGH" setting, I am getting 40%-50% compression. I've done 30 albums so far, taking up about 7.5GB of disk space. With EIDE hard drives being bargain priced right now (as the industry transitions to SATA), I no longer have to use lossy compression to back up my music. One of the nice things about Monkey's Audio is: I can take whatever files I choose, and make a MP3 copy to use in my NOMAD for traveling.

jock

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.